Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video >

Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
48.72%
No
51.28%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

Old 12-03-2006, 04:51 PM

Default RE: Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

ORIGINAL: SaskatchewanOutdoors

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

ORIGINAL: SaskatchewanOutdoors
road hunting is something that is part of SK hunting....its needed to locate rutting bucks....all SK hunters do it...unless you are outfitted in the forest way up north.
Road hunting is not part of hunting in Saskatchewan. Is it legal yes? Is it ethical in my mind no? Everyone in Saskatchewan does NOTroad hunt so please do not speak for me in this post or anytime in the future. Road hunting is for the people who cannot actually pattern a deer so they drive around until they see a gagger, get out and shoot. You can kill rutting bucks without roadhunting just some people have not figured that out yet or else are not prepared to put in the work/smarts. In my mind by doing this people are not good hunters rather good drivers. In my area road hunting leads to nothing but trouble for people chasing down game, shooting off of or towards roads/houses/cattle and hunting on land without permission. I find it amazing the people who drive by my farm everyday of hunting season that have absouletly no business being there because all of the land is posted however they chocolate bar by in hopes of shooting quick/loading it up and screwing off. Can't stoppem cause its a public road of course. I cannot count on my hands and feet the amount of times road hunters have screwed over my hunts while i am walking, blind, or stand hunting. Sorry to be harsh but road hunting here really burns my pee hole and you will find that I am not the only one. The fact that in the video it is said "get in lets cut him off" should be enough reason why it is not an ethical form of hunting. And i'll bet my left one the hunter did not unload his firearm when getting back into the vehicle to cut off the buck. Nuff said.
I don't believe for one second you have never slob hunted...

To bad to hear about your misfortunes with slobbers....everyone has the right to use that 66 feet of road allowance...

I think its very unfair for you to ASSUME a gun was loaded in the truck.

I think you arejust mad because you tried to put an amazing kill on the internet and got a bad response. just becuase not everyone sees things the way you do doesnt mean they are wrong. no matter how much we try to encourage ethical hunting it will never be a one hundred percent garuntee that all the deer are taken ethically. the only thing we can do is try to prevent the people who are the worst and make it a little better. Also everyone has a different prespective on this issure as they do many issues with hunting. but one thing i believe we should all agree on is that when something is on the internet, you should be careful because everything that us hunters see and think is good or bad, so can the PETA and other anti-hunting groups. i dont mean to make anyone mad i just think we should all own up to our mistakes and instead of getting mad at people who make them, try to give them advice on how to change their ways and become a better more ethical hunter.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

I just post real people, real hunts....

Some people watch to many hunting shows...

Would you shoot at this buck at 50 yards running? This was taken by a friend the other day. This is what we see alot of in Saskatchewan, big bucks running to cover.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Those are not hunters (uncle wipes puke from his mouth) those are opportunists. They were not hunting, more like shopping - and using the drive-thru at that.

To the point of running shots. Let's see here...............

he missed with his first shot, low and to right.

Then he happens to GET LUCKY with the running shot. Someone says, "great shot". If the shooter is such a "great shot",why couldn't he hit it while it was standing still? I am darn sure that those bozos would have thrown all the lead possible and shot until the deer went out of sight before they stopped their "great shots" - no matter what the distance.

We call those slob hunters. And I'd say it to anyone's face.
I whole heartedly agree.
#1. Why would you shoot at a running deer if you can't hit him standing still?
#2. Train in back ground made it an unsafe shot.
#3. No respect for the animal.( Not caring ifyou wound it or not.)
#4 Not a way to teach your child how to kill a deer.
#5 In one of my posts I refered to teaching or being taught. This isn't the correct way. Just because you are taught by your dad, unkle, cousin,etc doesn't make it the corect way.
Just my 2 cents plain.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I would take that shot i would place my bullet at the base of his neck.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even if you take shots at running deer, which I don't, this shot is unethical for safety reasons with the background!
I know that running shots are common on deer drives, but I prefer to shoot higher percentage shots, which a running shot is NOT!
Funny how people like to justify things with the statement, "everyone does it!" NO everyone does'nt do it!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

NICE SHOT!!! But not at all ethical.I wonder how much of the story is going to be told at home.Thats just sickening in my opinion.If you cant at least get your lazy butt in the woods and hunt,then stay home!That deer didnt deserve that.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot at runing deer with my shotgun and my rifle(within reason). I've killed two running deer lately (one each of the past two Saturdays). No problems at all they were graveyard dead before they hit the ground similiar to the buck in the clip. The trainin the background is not a good risk to take(but I also don't know the distances, camera angle, etc)but other than that, great buck, from what I gather he didn't do anything illegal if hunting near the road is legal and shooting a rifle from the ground is too, so be it, I don't make the laws. From what others have said on here this seems like afarliy common practice in Sask. and insome other states as well. Doesn't sound like the safest practice but I don't hunt there so my opinion is based only on a 2 min clip. He may have sole access to that land and know for a fact thatnoone is beyond his line of fire. He missed a deer with his first shot, I don't see as how that makeshis shooting skills less than adequate as I'm sure there are very few on here that have never missed a deer.The tworunning deer I killed were being run by dogs and I'm sure there are a ton of people who just can't standthat. Oh well, cry about it if you want to.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:53 AM

Where i hunt road hunting is a big part of hunting, i dont see anything wrong with it and will continue to do it since i see lots of big deer. where i hunt that is what we do in the mornings and evenings. wither that or sit someplace and hope they come by. IM in North dakota by the way where there is lots of open land that u have to cover. That vid is awesome. big deer too, i cant wait til next hunting season already
Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

A perfect example of an irresponsible hunter and then people like this wonder how they shot another hunter or civilian. He can't hit a standing deer in open terrain, so you know his shooting abilities are less then adequate,but yet takes a running shot in low light, over the crown of a hill with scattered woods and grasses in the direction of fire. This dimwit would be out of our camp in the time it takes to get him back to his vehicle. Inexcusable.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:12 PM

While I have shot deer running and see no issue with that...I dont particularly consider road hunting to be ethical. I dont think it is wise to shoot with a train rolling in the background. While it is obvious that the train cars were frieght of some sort, you still stand a good chance of hitt ing them. Bad form.

Quick Reply: Do you shoot at running deer? check out this video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.