Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
noobie, needing gear recommendations >

noobie, needing gear recommendations

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

noobie, needing gear recommendations

Old 11-21-2002, 02:15 PM

Default noobie, needing gear recommendations

new to deer hunting, but not to hunting. I've been hunting numerous times here in texas on a friend's private ranch in south texas (where I didn't have to worry about bringing a thing, except my gun) I was recently invited to lease a piece of land a friend of mine has been leasing for about 4 years now.

Here's the main question. Since money is tight, what recommendations would you make to someone fairly new to deer hunting. Blinds, treestand, knives, scent, etc. I have a few different pairs of camo's and a 2 yr. old Rem bdl .300 win.

Thanks in Advance.

Eric

ps. going with a friend this weekend hunting, wish me luck!
Old 11-21-2002, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: noobie, needing gear recommendations

Eric, you don't need everything all at once best to buy in stages and see what you really need and what you can live without.

You have the basics, gun, clothes and a place to hunt....half way their my man.

Things i would say are a must:
Boots and appropriate climate clothing (Gloves, hat, etc.)
Flashlight
Compass
Binos
Sharp Knife
Grunt Tube (Knight and Hale Ez grunter plus or the True Talker are a few)
Camp Saw (for making a blind)
Scent elimination (Wash in unscent soaps (ivory bar soap), hang and air dry clothes, place in sealed container or bag with earth, leaves or branches native to your hunting area) Buy some spray on eliminator to keep you fresh a s a daisy all day long.

You can make a blind out of natural bush, situate it with the same type natural trees as backdrop. Make sure to have good visibilty and shooting lanes. Take a bucket, chair or seat to make it comfortable.

Things that are nice but can wait:
Good Scope
Range Finder
GPS
Treestand (lock on or climbers)
More Camo
Scents
Rattling Horns
Host of others

I would suggest going with the basics, getting the lay of the land and then decided what you'll need to buy. I have compiled my stuff over years and many things that some say area must I still don't have.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:43 PM

thanks for the info skeeter. that's exactly the type of list i was thinking of. I didn't think about the washing and 'air drying' the camo's before use, I also like the idea of bagging them with some mother nature.

thanks again.

eric
Old 11-21-2002, 10:07 PM

Guns and warm clothes being a given, I'd say start out with a simple fanny pack. Not necassary to buy one with a bunch of extra pockets and snaps, just a simple, single, large pouch fanny pack.
In this pack I put-
Flashlight(2 AA batteries)
GPS (2 AA batteries)
2 extra AA batteries
compass
folding saw
cheap .99 cent rain poncho
bic lighter
30' of cord
small bag of refelective trail markers
small bottle of scent eliminator
grunt tube
turkey call(diaphram)
face mask
gloves
orange vest
4 extra rounds of ammo- 30/06

When getting ready to enter the woods, some of these items most likely to be used come out of the fanny pack and into various pockets. This now leaves room in the pack for a 20 oz. screw top drink(Mountain Dew) and a couple of candy bars. This is my everday pack that I use every time I step into the woods even if only for an hour. Sometimes I'll drag out the backpack for extra gear if needed but usually the fanny pack is adequate.
Since money is tight you might not be buying a tree stand right away, but you should invest in a dove bucket or something to sit on. Try to avoid the foldng metal dove stools, they make too much noise. A nice thing about the bucket is that you can put extra gear in it such as camo cloth for blinds, heavier rain gear if needed, extra food and water if you're gonna be in the field all day.

YEEEEHAAWWWWWW!!!!

MARK IN S.C.