Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Noobie here!

Old 11-07-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Noobie here!

Hello everyone! I for some reasonsuddenly became really interested in bow hunting. So, tomorrow I am going to buy a new bow. I look foward to learning from you all as I have never been hunting 1 day in my life and don't know who else to turn to for advise. I am new to online forums as well(only had the internet for a few weeks), so cut me a little slack.

With that being said, does anyone have advise on a good bow? I want to keep it under $650 that's my budget. Think I can get a good one for that price?

I thank you all in advance for your help, I'm sure I will gain a wealth of knowlege from you.

Blake
Old 11-07-2005, 10:53 PM

Default RE: Noobie here!

Don't buy a bow tomorrow! Go try em out, make sure the people know what they're doing when setting you up for a bow that fits. Try as many as you can...then go home. Think over it for a while....stay on these forums and read read read read read read as much as you can, until you just can't stand it any longer then go out and try some bows...then buy one and get started

^best advice I can give...I've been floating around for years (and shooting for years) and am still learning. Like today, just found out that I need to try and shorten my drawlength. One of the most basic parts of a bow setup.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:21 AM

I agree with Soilarch, don't just run out and buy the first thing you get your hands on. There are a lot of good bows out there that you can get with that budget. I don't know where you're from, but it may be a little late in the season to buy a bow and have it ready to hunt with this year. So, take your time and learn all you can, don't rush into it. Once you get your rig, practice practice practice and then practice some more. Make sure you're comfortable shooting and you're confident that you'll make a good ethical shot. Find someone that can help you get your new bow tuned and sighted in, if you don't know anyone just ask your questions here. I'm new to the forums too, but I've been reading several and these guys and gals are really good about helping fellow hunters out. I'd also recommend that you watch lots of hunting videos. Being new to hunting myself (this is my 3rd season) I'd like to say don't be disappointed if at first you don't do so great. I've only shot at 3 deer with my bow. The first was a buck....I didn't get a kill shot and never found him...the second was a doe, gut shot never found her either....third time's a charm. Perfect shot on a decent 11 point buck and dropped him in 30 yards. You'll make mistakes and you'll learn from them. I didn't have a lot of help getting started either, but I wasn't about to give it up. From the first time I climbed up in a stand I was hooked. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of hunting.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys! I tried to follow yalls advise...but just couldn't. I shot several bows today and was blow away by the Matthews Swithchback. I got it coupled with and Alpine quiver, DropZone rest, TR sight, and a tru fire release. I missed the budget by a long shot, though. I just couldn't resist.

Here are some pics:
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/592/10009257fz.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/811/10009234ou.jpg
Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

welcome to the world of bow huntin'.....get used to spending money...lol.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Couldnt get the pics to work but sounds like you did go all out. Good luck w/ your new baby. A Hoyt would have been better Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

My advice, and please take it to heart, don't attempt to hunt rightaway, you need to practice and shoot your bow for several days, weeks until you are confident that you will not just wound an animal but make a clean ethical kill. Bowhunting requires a ton of patience, practice, and skill. Good luck
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM

lol i was just going to give you a suggestion for a bow in that price range,but hey, if you bought a switchback, more power to you. if i got a new bow today, i'd probably get a switchback too. nice buy.if mathews doesnt make something better in the spring, ill probably trade my LX off for a new switchback.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 PM

I notice you've even got a Mathew's hat too. Way to represent.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

I KNOW U WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESIST AND GO OUT HUNTING EVEN THOUGH U DON'T HAVE A LOT OF PRACTICE SHOOTING. sorry about the caps. anyway my biggest advice is what mistake i made on my first kill. DON'T LOOK AT THE WHOLE ANIMAL WHEN AT FULL DRAW. u will be tempted to look at the deers head, body, back, chest. pick the spot to shot at, the smaller the better and concentrate on following through with your shot. meaning when u release the arrow keep your arms solid and watch the arrows flight to the spot u targeted. my first deer my eyes wandered and i hit her in the spine right above the lungs.she went down but it sucked to half to walk up and finish her. also she broke two of my arrows and at roughly 6 bucks an arrow and one broadhead at 10 bucks u can see in the end it was more expensive than i anticipated. good luck and go for the clean kill. THE FOOT

Quick Reply: Noobie here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.