Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting guides

Old 11-30-2006, 09:50 PM

Default hunting guides

ok i am about to finish my senior year in highschool. and i am thinking of becoming a hunting guide i would prefer to do turkey and whitetail. and i was woundering what guiding school you went to, or what i will need to do to become a hunting guide? or any advice.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting guides

i never heard of a "guide school". i figured it was just experience in the field and knowing the land that you are hunting on like the back of your hand. my advice would be to make friends with a successful guide and see if you can tag along with him and learn the ropes.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM

i wanted to do the same thing last year and i had decided to go to a college in northern minnesota for wildlife management if your goal is to be a guide stay away froma college. i heard of a place in colorado that i would check into before any thing at a college.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 AM

Younggun,
There are a number of outfitters out west that put on guide schools. Though, they are mostlyhunting mulies and elk.

Being a bear hunting and fishing guide in Canada, let me give you a little advice. It's not easy. There is always the issue of dealing with burining yourself out on hunting. When I first started guiding for bear it was a ton of fun for the first two years. Then the last few years it turned into a job for me. I still do enjoy it a ton, but there are times when I would rather just sit on the deck and watch the world go by for a day. But I do it anyways, mostly for the customer now and not for myself. I guess thats the way its supposed to be when you are getting paid. LOL The part that keeps me going and making sure I am running a great hunt is seening the joy the hunter has when they take their animal.

If I were to do it all over again, I would do it the same. I am able to make a living in the great outdoors and am able to work with my wife. When I start to get that burned out feeling, I the the ATV and drive a few miles from camp to a big hill and remember why I do what I do.

I hope my experience helps. Though I am not the best at moving my thoughts from my head to the screen. If you have any other specific questions, just let me know and I will help the best I can.

-Dan
Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Being a former bear, whitetail and moose guide I concur with _Dan's post. At times it is the most thankless job but the moments of sharing joy with other hunters is what keeps you motivated and love your love for the outdoors/wildlife. If you can put your own hunting plans on hold to hunt via clients vs yourslef, people person, hard working and ability to think on your feet then it may be for you.

As far as school I have heard of some guide schools, most are dealing with mountain terrain huntsand the different aspects this brings to situation. My advice if your serious is contact outfitters in your area of interest and see if they need someone. It maybe a grunt or hired hand to begin but it will let you see the ins and outs of the business and gives you land/game knowledge.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a tough way to make a living, but here's a few things I have learned from talking to guides:

- LONG HOURS. You need to be up before hunters and probably after hunter

- you don't get to hunt, you have to enjoy the client getting the animal

- you WILL get jerks, you WILL also get some great people

- not alot of money especially if you break it down by the hour.

You will probably also need a "non hunting season" job.

Guide schools are mostly out west and will teach you out west required skills, packing horses, quartering elk etc. If you are an eastern whitetail guide non of that matters, however some "normal" things will help: red cross first aid and CPR certification to start.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM

about giving up the hunting that aint that big of a problem because the thing that i like about hunting is having to figure out and try and patteren wild game. i just like the challenge of trying to out smart wild game. two of my friends and i hunt a farm and i do all the scounting and set up all the stands because one is the owners sons and has to do chorus, and the other one is in college right now but i am almost moe excited when they see game or get shots at them then they are. . and long hours arnt that big of deal cause right not i work for a cash cropper and durring the summer i am up at around 8 and dont get home until about mid night. and after school i go straight to work until about midnight doing field work or right now we are starting to fix tractors. but I deeply thank you guys for all of the advice you having giving me and i am sure that you will give me in the future.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

I don't understand how you can get burned out in a part time job. I'm sure there is more to it than what I know?