Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Disturbing sign

Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Disturbing sign

I was driving home yesterday after the opening day of PA rifle season. As I'm traveling through a Pittsburgh suburb, I see a digital sign in front of a construction company that says "Good Luck Hunters", the signed changed "Hunt Safe" and it changed a third time "Hunt Sober". As I continued driving, the overall content of the sign began to upset me. I'm sure the intentions were genuine, but the "hunt Sober" portion upset me as a hunter. I value my time afield so much that I would never think of drinking prior to going out hunting. I respect myself and the game too much for that. I believe a sign such as this implying that intoxicatedhunters with high powered rifles are out there just fuels the fire for the anti-hunting groups. I plan on contacting the company today and voicing my disapproval at their display.

however, while checking the northeast forum, I did see a photo from yesterday of a hunter with an eight point buck in one hand and a Bud Light in the other. Three guys in the back of the photo all holding beers, could the content of thesign be that far off, any comments?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Disturbing sign

nothing wrong with celebrating after a successful hunt, sometimes i do aswell. however, if i celebrate, i never go back and hunt the rest of the day. maybe those people in the picture were through hunting for the day.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I agree Camocop, I'm not saying that having a beer afterward is bad, but the company making the implication that people hunt intoxicated disturbed me. I believe you missed the point of my message.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

nothing wrong with drinking a few beer after the hunt even if you come in midday and have a few. no problem with this. and btw it takes alot of beer to get you drunk
Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not to fan a flame on a fire thats aready burning but .... on opening day of gun season this yearI went to my happy hunting grounds to find seven other hunters in the parking lot.
These guys were aready drinking beer and it's 5 : 00 am in the morning , it really bothered me knowing that these guys were going to be out in the same area I was hunting.
Needless to say .. I decided to leave and go to a diffrent spot.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't find the sign offensive at all. Everyone gets their feelings hurt too easily now days. Just take it for what it is, a reminder to be safe and go on. I know as well as you that the deer camps get out of hand all the time. While most hunters go afield sober, there are a good number that take to the wood drunk as monkeys.

I see no difference in a billboard saying if you drink don't drive. Most people don't drive drunk but some do and it's just part of the education to bring awareness to use all on the subject.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I often have a brewskee or 2-3 only AFTER the hunt.After decades of hunting public land I have zero tolerance for drinking before or during a hunt.

Seen way to many guys drunk - half drunk or impaired before the hunt - and - drink from stand with weapon in hand!

Absolute - Complete Morrons IMO

Thats one reason I thank the Lord I no longer hunt public land.

I think the Disturbing sign that says Hunt Sober simply reminds all hunters to be responsible.The big question is what constitutes Sober While Hunting.

Don't see any reason to drink at all before or during a hunt.
That = Sober = Safe = Alert.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

When the hunt is through, this Buds for you!!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:15 PM

I would never go hunting drunk...hungover maybe but not drunk thats just stupid why would you even risk having your hunting privelages taken away cause you just wanted a few drinks. I know after the hunt i will crack a cold one but thats not untill the animal is out to the camp or the trucks and i know im done hunting.Nothin wrong with having a beer after a successful day.

Just to let you all know in this pic my dad had woke up that mornin and stepped out of the camper to do his buisness and seen her bedded down about 50yds from where he was doin his duty so when he was done he went back and grabbed his gun and went back to see if she was still there and sure enough she was still there. This pic was at the end of the day back at the camp when our hunting was done for the day.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed!!!!...take it for what it's worth & move on!!!.....and another thing, there is nothing wrong with drinking a few cold ones after a successful harvest but for the love, don't drink bad beer (ie..Bubweiser)...

Quick Reply: Disturbing sign

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.