Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting Aunt needs some help and guidence >

Hunting Aunt needs some help and guidence

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Aunt needs some help and guidence

Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Hunting Aunt needs some help and guidence

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,
I am the Aunt of a 14 year old boy who LOVES to hunt. Since his parents divorce, his father never sees him and won't take him hunting. We have set up about 3 trips since then, but every man who's offered has stood him up and went without him. This last trip our "volunteer" had him waiting around in his hunting grear half the day before calling him and telling him he'd already caught his Buck and didn't feel like going out again. It broke his heart, and mine I think.This boy is about at his wits end. Do any of you know of organiztions that would take young men on hunting trips or simply accompany them in Southern Maryland. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Big Brothers has a waiting list and there is no way to be sure he would get a huinting brother.
Thank you all in advance for any ideas or suggestion you may have.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Aunt needs some help and guidence

Hes 14, why couldn't he go alone if he knows what hes doing.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Just trying to help, so asking alot of questions.

What part of S. Maryland are You in ?
What is the boys Character ? You said He loves to hunt.
Has He had a hunters ed course and have a hunter saftey card?
Does He have a current hunting lic. ?
Do You want to drop him off with a stranger ?, or would You or the mother be involved?
Does He have a deer gun (slug gun), has he practiced with it?

Ideal situation would be for Him AND (Aunt or Mother) take hunter saftey course together, Hook up with someone local to practice at the range in late summer, then Him and (Aunt/Mother) hunt with him 1st few times under the guidance of an experianced hunter.

It is 1 week into gun season, just cannot up and "go hunting" at this stage of the year, that is recipe for disaster.

Let Me know the FULL Situation and I am sure I or another S. MD hunter could help.

Nick
Old 11-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Sounds like you need to find some compassionate hunters and stay away from the selfish ones. If I were closer to Maryland I would offer to take him. I took my seven year old nephew on his first hunt the other day. He didn't carry a gun, but came along for the heck of it. I would suggest looking at the NWTF website under the JAKES program. Good Luck and tell him to hang in there and don't give-up hope! Maybe someone from this website can help.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:31 PM

Sorry that there are some selfish and inconsiderate people in this world. I wished I lived closer I would love to introduce a child to the world of hunting. Contact a local sportsman group and see if one of them would mind mentoring him until he is able to go on his own.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Just trying to help, so asking alot of questions.

What part of S. Maryland are You in ?
All very good questions and I think I know the answer to most of them. Starting with St. Marys County
What is the boys Character ? You said He loves to hunt.
My nephews character is very good with strangers, men and most of the family, his parent seperation was difficult on him as he is the oldest. He has a difficult relationship with his mother. He loves being in the company of men, both military and hunters. He intends to join the military when he's old enough. His father has taken him hunting and fishing since he was a little boy. I know he has had some sucesses and some misses. I'm not sure if he has ever actually caught a deer, but I think he may have once.
Has He had a hunters ed course and have a hunter saftey card?
You bet your bottom dollar he has
Does He have a current hunting lic. ?
Yes, that's the easy part. LOL
Do You want to drop him off with a stranger ?, or would You or the mother be involved?
His mom does not hunt, nor do I. But the idea of letting him go with a stranger makes us nervous. We would want to find either a program that I would be willing to pay for, if necessary, or get to know some hunters in our area. I am looking for a long term solution and hoping to find my nephew friends with the same interests, men he can look up to.
Does He have a deer gun (slug gun), has he practiced with it?
I know he has a gun and bow. Not sure what kinds or how much practice he's had.

It is 1 week into gun season, just cannot up and "go hunting" at this stage of the year, that is recipe for disaster.
Yes, at this point we are looking to the future and trying to get some networking done in hopes of finding hunting buddies down the line. I've been told he is old enough at 14, to go out on his own, but THAT sounds like a recipe for disaster to us, I don't think many 14 year olds have that much experience. Scary stuff, that.

Let Me know the FULL Situation and I am sure I or another S. MD hunter could help.

Nick
Thank you for taking the time to respond Nick, and everyone else.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:54 PM

I started deer hunting with a bow when I was 14. I had no experience what so eve. Got a new bow for christmas the year before and practiced a LOT! I didn't tag a deer that year, but I learned alot. Spending time in the woods actually hunting and scouting is the best possible way to learn. Get him books to read and some good dvd's to watch. If you can make sure the dvd's aren't just showing kill after kill. Some offer some good advice. I am from the midwest and don't know what to say in advice for finding hunting partners. Maybe he can meet some new friends at a archery range while he is practicing. I amdisgusted that fellow hunters are treating him that way. Young people are the future to this sport! If we turn them away, there will not be a future in hunting.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

"""""Yes, at this point we are looking to the future and trying to get some networking done in hopes of finding hunting buddies down the line. I've been told he is old enough at 14, to go out on his own, but THAT sounds like a recipe for disaster to us, I don't think many 14 year olds have that much experience. Scary stuff, that. """""

Do not know of any "paid" programs, nor would I recomend a paid role model, I just does not sound right

I took My Nephew from Baltimore through hunter ed when He was 12, and took him every weekend for years, He is now 21 and finnishing collage as a Peramedic, He came down last Sat for opening Day for the 1st time in a few years, seeing him and hunting with him was very rewarding.
I donot think that feeling can be bought.

He is more than welcome to Hunt with us, But I need to see him shoot, operate out of a tree stand safely, etc.All things we need to do over the summer. Any "Role Model" that is serious about taking him hunting will be hounding him in July about shooting, Scouting, etc.

This time of year (after opening day) is a bad time to take a youth/1st timer, a lot better chance to see/shoot deer on youth day (Oct) or Muzzle loader (Oct).

Drop Me a line ( I think You can click on My name)

Nick
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Kudos to you for looking after your nephew!!!! Huge Kudos!! Even though you do not hunt you are willing to help find someone that can! Whew....AWESOME!!

We have many folks that I feel sure will be able to help next season and perhaps the "off season" with practice, scouting etc. Atleast I sure hope so.... We have a good and ethical group of folks here that live to hunt and want to pass on the knowledge and heritage to the young.

Good luck to you and your nephew.....

Blessings

Christine

P.S. Email with any questions or concerns.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:26 AM

If you ever want to bring him to Texas, shoot us an email.

Otherwise, I think you have a goodchance at this with a couple of the posters above.

best of luck