Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

coyotes

Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default coyotes

I have read and heard that coyotes arent that big of threat to deer as many people think. They mostly eat rabbits, mice, very small animals. Yes they will eat deer but only sick, fawns. I was wondering why are people so against coyotes and think they will eat all the deer. I have a guy that traps on my hunting ground and dont care if he does. I know there are alot of them on my hunting ground.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: coyotes

Your slightly misled. A pack of coyotes can and will bring down the biggest mature buck if given the chance and opportunity. Coyotes are opportunist, they will take anything they can given the chance including dogs, cats, squirrels, rabbits and adult deer. They are hard on fawn predation as well.

Drury's showed some footage where 2 coyotes pushed a buck into a ravine where a 3rd stood in waiting. When the buck hit the ravine, they tore him apart. It was amazing. Coyotes will pack up to bring down anything they can.

In my tracking dog circle, one lady just lost her elding Wire Haired Dachshund to a coyote as well as many trackers losing dogs to yotes while tracking wounded game.

I watched a single coyote come face to face with a 6 pt, neither one cared for the other. They stood face to face for a moment and then went on their way without concern. That is one deer/ one coyote tho.

And don't forget their predation on the wild turkey population. I've been fortunate to shoot 3 coyotes thus far, one with a bow, one with a shotgun and one with a rifle. The yote that fell to the shotgun busted 2 toms I was calling in.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many packs of coyotes have you seen? I hunt Michigan, Idaho, Washington, and Montana and only seen one pack and i have never seen more than 4 together. The Real Threat is Wolves they are the problem Idaho is getting hit Extremley hard right now. my cousin ( who lives in Idaho) knows a game warden there and he said that they have only seen 3% of calves survived last winter and Last winter was fairly mild TONS of wolf kills. he said and he said the numbers they publish are not entirely correct that alot of wolves move from yellowstone to idaho regularly so the numbers are not entirely correct... but it is for sure that the wolves have made themeselves quite at home in the US since they have been planted here from canada.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot yotes any chance I can. I've had a pack of 4 come in to my fawn in distress call, but missed! The next week I had a pack of 11 come in to the can. I shot a real nice blonde thats at the taxidermist for the full body mount!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Coyotes are very hard on fawns, an adult coyote takes in around 4lbs of food a day and during the fawn drop they rely on whitetails for as much as 75% of their diet. Without coyotes you would have a lot more deer- no arguments there, that's why most deer hunters hate coyotes so much.

Yes there are a lot of misunderstandings about the impact coyotes have on whitetails and people love to latch onto mythical stories of the yellow eyed demons. For the most part, coyotes have littlesuccess killingmature whitetials. The true threat to whitetails in my region is not wolves or coyotes, but their domesticated cousins that people let run free. A domestic dog will run a deer for hours and hours, until it's heart explodes, where a true predator will not expend any more energy than necessary to make a kill. If you want to preserve the wildlife in your area don't shoot a feral dog... but know someone who does!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a given night you can hear several yotes and packs in any given area. It might be different in your area but PA, we have plenty and hear plenty.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:26 PM

I live in Shenadoah County Virginia and the Coyote population has started to become a problem. The owner of a local hunting supply store sponsored a Coyote expert to come in and talk to the local hunters about them. He explained that a lot of more people need to start hunting them to keep them under control. I didnt get to go to the first meeting but I heard that the amount pups that one mother can have in a year is staggering. I wanting to start hunting and probably will soon. I have heard them but have not yet seen them. They are nice to listen to in the woods.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

As has been stated I believe by Rob,coyotes are opportunistic killers.They will kill deer mature or otherwise if given the chance.I have witnessed a mature doe being killed in deep snow by two coyotes.I didn't have a rifle with me unfortunately.
Likely the only way to seriously effect their population is to trap aggressively,otherwise the females will just self regulate their litters to make up for their declining numbers.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:01 PM

i live in michigan and we have a real big problem with coyotes. shoot every damn one you see you will not be sorry....
Old 11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy that traps on my hunting ground has gotten about 5 coyotes a year every since he started a few years ago. where do they come from I only see a few a year.

Quick Reply: coyotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.