HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - coyotes
Thread: coyotes
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: coyotes

Your slightly misled. A pack of coyotes can and will bring down the biggest mature buck if given the chance and opportunity. Coyotes are opportunist, they will take anything they can given the chance including dogs, cats, squirrels, rabbits and adult deer. They are hard on fawn predation as well.

Drury's showed some footage where 2 coyotes pushed a buck into a ravine where a 3rd stood in waiting. When the buck hit the ravine, they tore him apart. It was amazing. Coyotes will pack up to bring down anything they can.

In my tracking dog circle, one lady just lost her elding Wire Haired Dachshund to a coyote as well as many trackers losing dogs to yotes while tracking wounded game.

I watched a single coyote come face to face with a 6 pt, neither one cared for the other. They stood face to face for a moment and then went on their way without concern. That is one deer/ one coyote tho.

And don't forget their predation on the wild turkey population. I've been fortunate to shoot 3 coyotes thus far, one with a bow, one with a shotgun and one with a rifle. The yote that fell to the shotgun busted 2 toms I was calling in.