Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many different seasons does your state have? >

How many different seasons does your state have?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many different seasons does your state have?

Old 11-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default How many different seasons does your state have?

Here in Missouri we have bow season, rifle season where weget 1 any deer tag but in certain counties there is a 4 point minimum, and then of course we have muzzle loader season and finally in December we have the antlerless season which allows us to kill does. Thisis for herd management.My son in law calls it doe fest.
So in essence I guess we have 4 different seasons.
How many does your state have?
Old 11-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: How many different seasons does your state have?

Hey spudrow-

Don't forget the anterless-only tags that we can purchase for archery, firearms and muzzleloading seasons in the majority of the counties, with many of the counties allowing as many as you want.

I don't know about you, but during firearms season, where I hunted (mid central MO), the wind blew to beat the band, and we saw a lot fewer deer than usual. I just got two does and my partner didn't get anything. We only saw two bucks the whole time, one that wasn't a shooter and the other that we couldn't get a shot at. I have heard that the firearms season was a big disappointment for the Conservation Dept. because of low number of deer harvested. I haven't heard any official numbers yet, though.

Of course, as luck would have it, on the second Saturday, as we were on our way to Ames, Iowa for the Mizzou football game (grumble, grumble), we saw all kinds of deer once we crossed the state line, big ones, little ones, big groups, small groups.

Well, anyway, I'll have to try a fill my any-deer tag during muzzleloader season. Good luck to you.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

Actually we had a record number of deer killed this fire arm season, 275,000 plus I think.
I figured Mizzou would handle Iowa so I deer hunted. We saw plenty of deer and I was very choosy. I ended up with a button buck and a doe. I can't wait until doefest. Good luck to you.
Do you hunt anywhere near Macon?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pa. has a regular 6 week archery season,which has a muzzleloader doe season in there for a week,a 2 week rifle season-buck or doe(if you have doe tags),a 2 week late archery/flintlock season,and a bear archery-onlyseason and a regular bear season.Plus spring and fall turkey and small game seasons
Old 11-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Spike

We've been hunting near Marshall, just north of I-70 and west of US 65 highways for 8 years now, on private property. Corn, winter wheat, and soybean farms with lots of drainage ditches. Had good luck till this year with several 8 pointers and a couple of 10 pointers killed, along with a lot of does.

We used to hunt in southern MO, closer to home, in the Mark Twain National Forest. When we started hunting the northern farmland, it was like learning how to hunt all over, learning new tactics for the different terrain. Up north, the deer are seemingly more plentiful, and certainly bigger, but sometimes I miss hunting the forest land. But, we always have a good time, it's great just to be out hunting no matter where we are.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spudrow

Here in Missouri we have bow season, rifle season where weget 1 any deer tag but in certain counties there is a 4 point minimum, and then of course we have muzzle loader season and finally in December we have the antlerless season which allows us to kill does. Thisis for herd management.My son in law calls it doe fest.
So in essence I guess we have 4 different seasons.
How many does your state have?
You forgot about the Urban season. It's only in a few select counties, but it usually runs in Oct. It's basically an early doe only season, just like the one in Dec. It's called Urban, because the counties that are targeted have a high population/city present, and they want to control the deer because of this. It's confusing, but it has nothing to do with hunting in city limits. It's what I was told from a Conservation agent.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Us here in Manitoba we have for archery , muzzleloader and rifle season one deer for each. Then we can get a second tag for antlerless deer for anyone of the ones I mentioned. We also have a separate season for shotgun/muzzleloader in a certain area that allows for another antlerless deer and we can get one more antlerless deer for 3 more other areas that has been overpopulated with deer. So in all we can have up to 6 tags for deer hunting...
Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

here in Florida we have archery, muzzle load and general gun (rifle). you are allowed to take 1 buck (buck being a deer with atleast 5 inches of antler on one side) a day, every day.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Michigan has..

Youth 3rd sat and sun of September

Bow october 1-nov14 then dec 18-jan 1

Gun nov 15- Nov 30

Muzzleloader Dec 1- 17 (changes by year and by xone this is just my zone)

these are just the general season there are early firearms late firearms antlerless only disabled hunters only etc etc.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 PM

In the counties that I hunt we have deer season aug.15th till jan.1 period.We have 17 doe days with 2 does per day ,you can buy 4 doe tags and we have no limit on bucks . And I forgot you can shoot any weapon.

Quick Reply: How many different seasons does your state have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.