Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter Harassment

Old 11-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunter Harassment

I was rifle hunting yesterday and had a really aggravating experience.I have had access permission to hunt the area I was in for over ten years and have hunted it extensively.I was walking up a mountain road at least 1 1/2 miles from a main road,I knew I had walked past the area (300 acres) that I had permission to hunt but there are large blocks of unposted property and state land that I was headed to.At the top of this road there are two people that have primitive homes,they are extremely reclusive,I have met both of these folks many times on this rough mountain road over the years.

Where the one person is civil,the other person is not.The one who is not is a young woman who interrogates every one she see's.Yesterday she and a guy that was in her vehicle with her,stopped to talk to me and they got in my face pretty good,I explained that I had permission and that I knew I was beyond where I had permission but the land was not posted at all and if she or he could show me posted signs I would stay out of it.

Now bare in mind that this was not her land.While I was calm and civil I was irritated and told them that since they could not prove who owned the land or show me where it was posted I was going to continue on my way.She said to me well I am going to call the police,I told her to go ahead,I have done nothing wrong.She asked me for my name I refused to give it to her,and kept walking.The guy in her car gets out and yells to me hey jerkoff come here,I kept walking.The guy comes in the woods after me,I just quickened my walk and didn't even look back.When I had originally seen thes people I had slung my rifle to avoid any sense of me being threatening.

This guy coming in the woods behind me really had me upset.There is nothing good that can come from any confrontation in a situation like that and I wanted no part of it.These people could allege any thing,one could lie and the other could swear to it.I had everything to lose and nothing to gain by being confrontational so I just kept walking.

As I was walking though I remembered that about a mile down this mountain road,(unpaved and rutted) they would be driving past my truck.I feared they may cause damage to it,so I walked right down to it and went to the police station.My family is third generation in the town we live in and I know at least half of the police department very well.She did call they did send two officers out to this place (although I don't understand why)They informed her that unless it was properly posted there was nothing they could do and they couldn't deny me access.The officer I spoke to said Scot just avoid her and go hunt.

I was and am still fuming.If land is posted I stay off it,if it is not especially in a mountainous area and it is area I want to hunt I go on it.If there is a next time I wont be nearly as pleasant or civil to this woman and the guy that was with her.

I hunt to get away from the stress's of everyday life.The PO'd part of me wants to hunt the crap out of that area hoping it irritates the livingheck out of this woman,the other part of me is disgusted and wants to go to an area where I can have complete peace. Yesterday I left the police station and went right back to where I had been,but it wasn't very enjoyable.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunter Harassment

sounds to me as if the woman is justgrumpy and her guy friend is trying to get into her pants....so he felt like he had to act macho by attempting to get respect for her.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:03 AM

Weird, happy to hear it turned out ok without gettin too ugly. Have a few people like that around here who believe they own everything, outfitters seem to be the worst.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh btw, you did the right thing. just make sure you lock your truck and buy a locking gas cap if you intend to hunt there again. also notify law enforcement if anything happens to your truck.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

You did good, and I am happy to hear it turned out OK! Had you not held your cool, this guy's actions could have turned an ugly incident into a tragedy! (it does sound like he was trying to impress the woman to put it nicely)
Old 11-25-2006, 09:19 AM

You did the right thing good for you!Don't let thesebuttheads wreck your outdoor s activities.Obviousley they are people who just want to be a pain in the butt.For every idiot there is a thousand great people.Have fun and good luck!
Old 11-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

You handled that quite well. It's a shame you had to even deal with it though. Why can't people just mind thier own business?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

They probably have a pot patch or meth lab nearby. Being out in the woods all of the time because of my job, I run into people like this quite often.

I also had a similar experience when Iwas living in Stillwater, OK. A friend andI had gotten permission to hunt a piece of land when we were going to school there and stopped by the neighbor's house a half mile away to ask them permission as well.We knocked on the door, introduced ourselves to the woman that answered the door and asked permission to hunt on the land. She said, "No, I don't think so." We said ok andmade sure where the property boundary was by askingso we would not be trespassing.

My friend and I went back to the other property, got camo-ed up and made a long hike through the cedars and briars to the back side of the property. We then got our decoys set up and started calling. There were about 5 Rio toms gobbling their heads off and obviously coming fast in our direction. All of a sudden they just stopped. I thought, "Well, they're still comin' and may be close...I'll just back off of calling so much and call softer."About 5 minutes go by and nothing. Ten minutes pass and I see movement coming through the trees...but it's not the turkeys...it was that woman. She askedif we were having any luck and I responded by saying...and inhalf a laugh because of the ludacrisness of her ever asking after she was stomping around out there, "Uhh, no." She immediately turned intoSuper-Psycho Woman and began to mock us. At first, my friend and I were so surprised that we didn't know what to say. Then she started into us for hunting 'her' turkeys. She said that she moved out to the country so she could avoid people like us and then we come out there and screw everything up. We explained that we were doing nothing wrong and that we had every right to be on the property...and that she didn't. That really set her off. About then she noticed our turkey decoy and thought it was a real turkey and asked,"What about that one?!? Are you just going to let it stand there and suffer?!? You cold-hearted -------" Of course, my friend and I couldn't help but laugh in her face at stupid commentthen Ipicked up the decoy, folded itand put it in my pack. I then said, "Ma'am, if you had told us how you felt whenever we had approached you at your house, we would have respected how you felt and not hunted here. We're going to leave now so don't worry." I would have thought that would have calmed her down somewhat,but...no. To that she responded, "Good!! Get out of here and don't come back!!! I'll just scare 'em off every time!!! --------!!!"I wasn't mad until that moment, but I just sucked it up thenleft with my friend. I've always been amazed at the boldness of that woman taking on 2 armed men by herself in the middle of the country. She was lucky that we are good people!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:16 PM

just ignore her, and go hunt
Old 11-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Some people are just plain stupid. Thats the only answer.

Be careful out there next time.

Quick Reply: Hunter Harassment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.