Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter Harassment

Old 11-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: Hunter Harassment

Just thought I would clear up any confusion with the South Dakota laws regarging hunting on private property.

In South Dakota all hunters need landowner permission even to hunt land that is not posted. These rules have been in place for the 3 years that I have lived and hunted here.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I guess that the term "sucks" has really been rehabilitated in recent years
lol interesting. I been saying that about things since i was 9, and i'm 28 now
Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I started hearing it used regularly by other kids in the early 80s. By then, it had become more of a catch phrase with little negative connotation. but prior to that, my mom would have been chasing me with a bar of soap for using it.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear what you are saying but I had everything to lose and nothing to gain.That's what I meant by speaking about how I felt humiliated.I am not a small person and in pretty good shape and in addition to that I had a rifle on my shoulder,but myself and my family would be the loser if I engaged in an altercation.Legal BS,possible stigma in our community,my daughter having to hear whispers at school.(her daddy beat the tar out of someone or worse!)

I would find another place to hunt before I subjected my families emotions and resources to that.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hear ya. BUT, i draw the line at someone continuing to try to approach me when they have already started acting hostile. Lanse don't play that.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM

I don't agree with those people harrassing you and following you, especially if they didn't own the land, butwhere I'm from,you would have also been in the wrong also. Just because land makes it easier to access other land, does not give you the right to cross it without permission. I realize that it may veryby state, but what difference does it make if it is in the "mountains"? Just because land is rural or mountains doesn't mean that trespassing laws do not apply.InWisconsin,where I live, thereis lots of state land thatare completely sorrounded by private land. That doesn't give us a right to cross the private landwithout permission in order to access it. I'm not trying to attack you as a person, but I think you should look at it from a different angle. IfI know that someone does not have permission to be on my neighbors land,am I wrong to ask them to leave? Why should it be the landowners responsibility to post the land?Shouldn'tit be the hunters responsibility to find out who the landowner is andask permission? If a car is sittingon the streetwith the keys in it, but no sign on it saying "don't take me", is it ok to take it for a drive?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Markinsd

Just thought I would clear up any confusion with the South Dakota laws regarging hunting on private property.

In South Dakota all hunters need landowner permission even to hunt land that is not posted. These rules have been in place for the 3 years that I have lived and hunted here.
I bet then it was North Dakota. Sorry about that...