Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Read this and please advise.  Thanks >

Read this and please advise. Thanks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Read this and please advise. Thanks

Old 11-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Read this and please advise. Thanks

OK, so I had never seen a buck in the wild until tonight. I am color blind and I have recently figured out that I may not be seeing deer because the colors blend in to well, and thebrown, red and green are virtually the same color for me. Anyway, I finally convinced my wife to come hunting with me and I gave her the binocs and used her as me new eyes. Unbelievable. here is what happened. Tried anew spot tonight. Set up on the edge of a huge vegetable field at about 3:30. We saw nothing for about an hour then they started coming 1,2,3,4...9 deer in the distance all feeding. This was more deer then I had seen all season in my old spot.I would have never seen them as good as she. I started grunting with my buck roar and from the other direction these two deer beelined right at me. Problem is, it was getting dark fast. They both came at me with there heads down so we couldnt tell if they were bucks. At about 50 yards they picked up there heads and I could see the racks against the skyline. The biggest looked like a tall racked 7 or 8 point.It felt surreal, I really thought this day might never come. I grunted them bothstraight to me and at about 35 yards the two deer turned and walked straight at each other offering me a broadside shot. The combination of failing light and the weird angle made the shot difficult. I wont shoot if I think it is too dark but I could see through my peep. I let the arrow fly but my arms were so close together the string rubbed my forearm and threw my arrow off. Both deer bolted across the field. Clean miss.

Remember this was my first time there. Please help me. What would you do. Would you go back in the morning and grunt, do you think they will return that quick etc... What do deer patterns tell me. If they feed there at night do they return in the morning. Please advise me.

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Read this and please advise. Thanks

Congrats on seeing the deer. It must have been a rush. I would go out if you can, whether your wife can go or not. You might be a little like me, and if you search and search for deer and don't see any, you move around a little more freely. I have found out that I will see the most deer when it is freezing or windy or whatnot and I bundle up and don't move at all. I would just have the thought in my head, "A deer is alway watching me."
Basically just pretend there is a deer near you all the time. If you see some tomorrow, great, you might kill one. If you don't, oh well, its another time out in the woods.

Good luck, im rooting for ya!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Did they see you or just get spooked by the sound of the arrow? If they didn't see you I would be back out there in the morning. Sounds like a good spot you have.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah they did not see me they just got spooked by the arrow and the noise.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be back.... and the deer probably will too! Good luck!
Old 11-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Since it was getting dark do the deer normally stay in that general area for the night or do they move around. Would it be odd to believe that same deer would be in that field again tomorrow morning?

Old 11-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

it's possible. i would hunt it in the morning and afternoon. if nothing shows, give the spot a few days to cool off and hunt it again.