Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 montec tekan 2s need advise please read >

montec tekan 2s need advise please read

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

montec tekan 2s need advise please read

Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 PM

Default montec tekan 2s need advise please read

i have a question i know it generally takes 3 pounds of pressure to deploy the blades but i recently harvested the 1st doe of the season and had to blood trail her and do a follow up shot i noticed that when i went to get my 1st arrow which was acomplete pass through that the blades were not in a locked postion just basically flopping around in the ferral is this normal or am i missing something . on the follow up shot i was standing 5 feet from the deer and watched the arrows flight and i did not see the blades deploy and when i went to pull that arrow out of the deer ,pass through except vanes the blades were not open at all any advise?my understanding is that the blades deploy once in the animal then upon pass through that either close or remain loose.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:19 AM

Default RE: montec tekan 2s need advise please read

I just bought some and it doesn't appear that the blades "lock" into position when the deploy,they just open up so I can understand them just being open when you checked your first arrow.

When you gutted the deer did it look like they were open while passing thru the deer? That is all that matters.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I used the teken IIlast year. I shot a doe at 10 yards right through hart from a tree stand. My blades didn't open at all. It looked like I shot her with a 22. The exit wound had no blade marks at all. Luky that I shot her through the hart, but she ran 40yards and died with NO! blood trail. Scary!
I threw them away after that. This was after they supposubly fixed the blades and made them easier to open. I have now switched to fixed blades stingers fly just as good and now I don't have to worry about things going wrong.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 AM

wish i hadn t read this i just bought some [:@]
Old 09-22-2006, 10:43 AM

thanks man that is almost exactly what happened to me i dont think the blades open or remain open until they hit something pretty hard i am not to pleased with standing 5 feet away and seeing the balde not open at all.however it looked like internally it did great damage and had amaxing penetration almost too much i think the penetration was the result of the blades not deploying all the way.you know like shooting a really sharp field point or something thanks for your advise
Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys, I do not think I would hit the panic but just yet these broadheads have killed many animals. Like all/most mechanicals the blades do not lock once deployed. The Tekan II's however do lock into place when in the shooting position. I have these and cannot wait to shoot a deer with one.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:31 PM

I shot two deer last year with these broadheads. Both were pass thru and lung shot. The problem I had was the lack of a blood trail.When bowseason opens up next Sunday here in ILL, I will be shooting that Bad To The Bone broadhead. Good hunting to all.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:11 AM

OK, now you guys have me worried!
The blades on mine seem to open up pretty easily, just a little pressure with a pencil end. Doesn't seem anywhere near 3lbs of pressure.

I think I am going to do some testing before I use them hunting.
I'll be out next Sunday with my "tried and true" Magnus 2 blade "Nugent" blades I guess.
I hate having any doubts in my equipment.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 AM

i noticed that when i went to get my 1st arrow which was acomplete pass through that the blades were not in a locked postion just basically flopping around in the ferral is this normal or am i missing something .
From what I understand they are not suppose to lock once open. This is the reason they had to come out with the tekan 2. The first year tekan was illegal in alot of states. I could be wrong, if so hopefully someone will correct me.