Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooter or nothing

Old 11-21-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Shooter or nothing

At my age [45] I can not make my self shoot a buck that I wouldn't get mounted.I have no trouble taking a doe for the meat.Do any of you seasoned huntersfill this way? How many w.t mounts do you have? I have about 11 now.Looking for a new #1 or bust,all the time.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooter or nothing

I feel the same way. I have 6 whitetailedmounts. I like watching the smaller bucks you can learn quite a bit about deer that way.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

any buck i shoot i get a skull mount, and i get the full mount for a big buck.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto here. I am 54 and have shot close to 75 bucks. Most of thosewere 1 1/2 year old deer. It just became too easy and not the challenge I wanted. I was actually starting to not enjoy hunting. But now that I am hunting southern Michigan (and doing it mostly with bow) where the potential for trophy bucks are greaterthan they are in the northern part of the state, along with the fact that I am starting to hunt Canada, I feel I can be more selective.There isno excitement for me inshooting something that wouldn't beat my biggest mount (I have 4 and my wife nags me to quit hanging them...haha). But, that's "hunting", the search fora trophy and how each person defines trophy is going to be different. I respect that and hope others do too. Leaving friday for Manitoba so hoping for a Booner this time out.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, I have 2 on the wall and another at the taxy and a bunch of skull mounts. At one time I would have been thrilled to kill a spike, especially with a bow, but I pass a lot of deer now. Being able to shoot a lot of does means I can shoot them for meat and let the small bucks walk. The does are more challenging than the small bucks anyway.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

I'm with you....wallhanger or doe. I've been hunting for 23 years and I have had enough of shooting little bucks. So, I'll fill the freezer with a doe and I'll wait for the big boy to show up.
BTW, a wallhanger for me would only need to be 125". Seriously.
Brian
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I'm with you now on this one. I've taken 4 bucks now, 2 I have or am currently getting mounted, and 2 I just have the antlers. I really enjoy watching the small bucks and it feels great knowing that you might shoot that basket 8 in 2 or 3 years when he is a big 10.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 PM

Same here, For about the last 5 years Ive been passing on the small bucks, I have learned so much about deer behavior by just watching them. I have 6 mounted, and about 6 more skull mounts, and just dont get any thrill out of taking a young buck, I can take a doe about any time if I need meat or to fill a tag, and this year Ive passed on more and bigger bucks than I ever have before. I have passed on deer almost every day Ive hunted, including 21 days of vacation from oct 27 -nov 17, but Ive only seen 3 shooter bucks this season, but it was worth it, havent connected with one yet on our farm, but rather let them grow if they already aint big
Old 11-21-2006, 08:57 PM

I feel that same way. This is my first hunting season and 20 mins after I got into my deer stand a spike was no more then 10 yards awat from me. I didn't even think about drawing my rifle. I just watched him. I passed about 4 small does after him and the guy that I hunt with is like WTF?! Why didn't you shoot.I told him cause I want to take a big buck or doe. Hes the type that takes what he can get. I guess I have alot of patience. Theres this buck in my area. I've seen him in my field in late august. Then in late sep/early oct. he ran out in front of me on my way home from work. On The second day of hunting season I was driving to my co-workers place to hunt, he ran out in front of me again. Then yesterday I came home from work my sister said she saw a buck in our field (I know it was him) then again today when I got home from work my dad said he saw a buck in our field. So I guess he comes around my place at around 3pm. I'm telling you I want to take him BAD. I can't stop thinking about him. I plan on hunting my field on thanksgiving morning. I hope he comes. If I don't get him then I hope no one else does cause he'll be bigger next year!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me its a mature deer, doe or buck so long as its mature.

Quick Reply: Shooter or nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.