Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'm Back from Alberta

Old 11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I'm Back from Alberta

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I'm curious as too why the outfitter would let you go in the woods without sighting in or even shooting the borrowed rifle??? I would of insisted on shooting the gun at least a few times! Better luck next time!
C Davis the rifle I rented was a Winchester Ultralite in a 270

BHF we arrived on Sunday afternoon and drove to where we would be staying in Edmonton ...from there it is about 45 miles to where we hunt and with the road iced over in certian places he just felt we did not have enough time to get there to zero in before dark .... I would obviously had prefered shooting a few rounds but he had the keys and the truck.... I suppose I could have insisted on shooting the rifle during the middle of the day but I would have had to hiked out about a mile is knee deep snow then back again for the evening hunt ... he told me he had used it earlier in the month to shoot beavers so I beleived it to be on ...as it turned out it was dead on from right to left but 7 to 8 inches high at 100 yards ...as it turned out I didnt even NEED a rifle LOL ...

dd

Man, a .270 is some serious beaver medicine. They must also have some trophy beavers in Canada.

C. Davis
Old 11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

You think a .270 is a varmint gun? A .270 will blow a 4inch diameter hole in a deer, im sure it would kill elk and moose, so imsure it would take that trophy buck...have you ever shot one C.Davis
Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mohunter09

You think a .270 is a varmint gun? A .270 will blow a 4inch diameter hole in a deer, im sure it would kill elk and moose, so imsure it would take that trophy buck...have you ever shot one C.Davis
I have shot two deer with the .270 I own. I don't think it is a varmint gun, but DD's guide must think it is because he is the one who supposedlyused it to hunt beavers before he gave it to DD. Read his post.

C. Davis
Old 11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Oh, ok didn't see that, I tend to see what I want.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

No problem Mo. I too found it a little odd that his guide picked a .270 for beavers. 7 inches high at a hundred yardswould probably give you a perfect head shot at normal beaver range.

C. Davis
Old 11-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: C. Davis

No problem Mo. I too found it a little odd that his guide picked a .270 for beavers. 7 inches high at a hundred yardswould probably give you a perfect head shot at normal beaver range.

C. Davis
Well like everything else the Canadian's brag about they say they have Boone and Crockett Beavers LOL ...wjo knows??

dd
Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

LOL Samp .... our hunting contract states that ALL tags and licenses are included ...CHECK MATE !

dd
Your contract with a guide may have included all hunting lic's and tags for hunting.. You just stated you sent the moneyto Canada Customs for yourregistration permits,, so it didnt include all lic's..It also has nothing to do with a licence to be able to possess a borrowed firearm while in Canada... what you did was illegal if you didnt have a"Non-resident Temporary Firearms Borrowing" lic..

But Ill play Devils advocate a little bit more,, lets say it did cover that cost and you had the Non-resident temporary firearms borrowinglic(which I very highly doubt you had).. How is that guide is going to do any scouting or even push bush,, it clearly states thatYOU must be:[*]hunting under the supervision of an outfitter or other person authorized to organize hunting services in Canada;

Now if this is the case,,, which you say it is.... He had too sitin that truck and watch you all day long,, because you didnt bring your own firearm, and he had too directly watch you with a borrowed firearm! So I would say if this is the case,, which you say it is...He was being a great outfitter by keeping youLEGAL while hunting!

You know Swamp Imnot going to get in a pissing battle with you on herebecause I could really care less about what you think but I will say this...when I arrived in Canada and went through customs they found it odd that I was there for a hunt without a rifle and sent me into the customs office for questioning ...after explaining what had happend the customs officer himself suggested I borrow a rifle from my outfitterand did not advise me to any additionalform needing to be filled out ...now Im done with you

dd

DD,sorry to hear about the bad experience with the outfitter, that sucks.

But I do have to agree with SwampThing that what you did in borrowing the gun and not having the proper forms was illegal. If you would have been stopped and checked, you would have been in a world of trouble. No matter if the customs/immigration official told you nothing about the permit. Like they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Anyways, better luck on your next trip!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:11 AM

Dan,

Don't try to use common sense with him. Its a fruitless proposition. I mean the guy shot at his decoy while hunting and can't figure why he didn't see many deer.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Dan,

Don't try to use common sense with him. Its a fruitless proposition. I mean the guy shot at his decoy while hunting and can't figure why he didn't see many deer.
Actually Shato, I wasn't trying to be an arse like you were. I was just stating a point and letting him know that what he did was illegal so he or someone else who reads this doesn't make the same mistake.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Dan,

Shoto your absolutly right ...I have no common sense..just a dumb ole redneck from Alabama...and am sure I can not match wits with a guy as sharp as you are...Im sure you must have your own tv show with the plethora of knowledge that you have ..I will make sure that in the future to confer with you before making a move in the woods.

dd

Quick Reply: I'm Back from Alberta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.