Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What should I have done?

Old 11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What should I have done?

On my property I set up a 8 point rule.I told everybody that hunts it that there will be a $100.00 dollar fine for any buck that didn't meet the 8 points. On opening morning around 10:00 am 1 guy shoots a five pointer. (he swears it was a ten) So I make him pay the fine and I tell everyone at camp that it must have 8 points or more or I 'am going to shut down camp. Saturday afternoon another guy shoots he say's he shot a doe. I turned out he gut shot the deer so I left it Lay overnight. The next morning I found the deer it was a 4 pointer. I went back to camp got the four wheeler and pulled everybody out of the stands and sent them home.

Should I have done something different or was I right to take away there hunt. Would like to hear some opions. Thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Default RE: What should I have done?

I would have just continued to enforce the fine and sent the guilty party home, because that's kinda unfair to everyone who may have been complying with the rule.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its your land and you can manage the hunting as you want, after all you warned them.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 PM

We also have an 8pt rule at our farm and also a fine for anyone who shoots one too small. It has to be an 8pt and past its ears. But every year we have one guy who shoots one which is too small. This year he has killed 2 which were too small a little 6pt and a little 8pt.and he always has an excuse. " I couldn't see his antlers, thought it was a doe, or thought he was bigger. Also he never pays the fine after he has agreed to do so at the beginning of the season. He is a good guy but when it comes to hunting he is a total idiot. If it were my property I would have thrown him out long ago but it is his cousins. If I were you I would definitely have fined them and made the guilty people leave but let the guys who were abiding continue to hunt. Until they screw up of course. I don't understand the thrill out of killin a baby buck. LET EM GROW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The violators were the drivers in the group. So if they left everyone had to go. I drove up with my Dad so we stayed.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing. If you let them walk on you at all, things would have just gotten worse. I'd keep a close eye on your stands and other things now though. They may develop a grudge that they feel can only be relieved by taking or damaging things when you aren't around. When I was really young, I can remember my granddad talking about an old farmhouse they had that was a victim of arson not too long after an incident on the property. Unfortunately, there was nothing linking anyone to it, sojustice was never served. Be sure to tell the local warden about the incident andask him tokeep a little closer eye on the place for a while when you aren't around. It may save you a bigger headache.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds simple enough to me. It's your place, you can do what you want.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Your place, your rules!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:44 AM

Were these friends or family or what? If it was people paying to hunt or strangers hunting with permission you did the right thing. We also have a rule of not shooting a buck with antlers inside the ears. We don't fine each other, but the ribbing the guy that shoots a small one gets pretty intense. I only hunt with friends and family, and I can't see myself pulling the plug like you did but sometimes you do what you gotta do.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 AM

You can put down just about any rule/law that you want to on your land. I assume that all the hunters there were experienced hunters and no rookies looking for a first deer? I might be inclined to give rookies a break on the 8 pt rule, but that is just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.