Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What a weekend.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:48 AM

Default What a weekend.

Where to start?
OK, the Remy 7400. Picked it up from being bore sighted on Wednesday. Jay took to range Thursday and Friday after work to sight it in for me. (He gets out before me, and works closer to home than I do.) Sighted in, he says shoots great. Took 2boxes of ammo to sight it in. Fine, he goes to Gander after work in Friday and gets more, for me for Saturday. (Opening day, my first ever day of hunting!!!!)
Saturday- We get up early, head out to our pre-scouted spot down the road. I'm all 'cited, and camo from head to toe. Well, with my obligatory orange, LOL... Dreaming on the buck whose tracks and scrapes we've seen. We figure we'll head home 10:30ish. Mom died in September, as I mentioned on another thread, and I finally found a home for her cats. My friend's sister will take them, and she lives in Depew, NY, almost 3hrs away. So we knew we weren't gonna get a full day.

Jay sends me text message that he's on his way to get me so we can head out. I'm sitting, and look down at my gun. THE FOREARM IS SPLIT 3/4 THE WAY DOWN THE LENGTH, AND THE REMAINING 25% LOOKS READY TO SPLIT!!!)
There's a pic attached with a 243 cartridge for comparison, and more pics here:

So in addition to our trip to my mom's to get the cats, and take them to their new home, we now have a trip to Gander to make. I am pi$$ed. You can see the action spring, and everything inside.

So off to Gander. Sales guy was nice. At first said all they would be able to do was repair, no return policy on firearms. I said that's not good enough. So he talked to manager, got approval for total exchange, and took return of those 2 unfired boxes of ammo. Yay. So I pick up my Remy 750 in 270 on Tuesday. (Has to have the scope mounted, etc.) They also gave us 5% off the new gun. YAY! They did us right.

Off to Depew, cats new home, yadda yadda. Nice lady, etc. Bittersweet, close of a chapter in my mom's stuff. Stop to eat at Moe's, head to Mom's to do a few things, then back home, after midnight.

We come to the stopsign by our house. (We live at a T in the roads.) We see eyes in the woods. We sit there and wait and watch. A pudgy fawn, a doe, and another set of eyes, belonging to unknown sex/age.
*sigh*

~Melinda
Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What a weekend.

That really sucked about the first rifle. Its a good thing that you didn't have anything to shot at. who only knows what could have happened. Its great that Gander Mt. is going to back you and replace the rifle. Are they going to bore sight it also?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:35 AM

Default RE: What a weekend.

Yes, they are boresighting at no charge, since we had paid for the mounting/boresighting for the 7400.

No deer yesterday, but we did find a good spot for next weekend, when we were on our way out at the end of the day yesterday.