Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground Hunting

Old 11-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ground Hunting

Well my stand was crushed when my tree fell over durring a storm last night so I am now confined to ground Hunting for the next 4 days any tips or info would be great. I have always hunted from a tree stand and it's not what I am used to. Honestly I am not fond of ground ZHunting but it's better than missing my season. I have hunted on the ground when I first started But I never shot a Deer from the ground only a tree. so any Tips that can Help me be a bit more sucessfull please feel free to let me know Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 03:12 PM

Default RE: Ground Hunting

What kind of terrain and cover will you be hunting? What are you using to hunt with, I assume rifle/shotgun. You could build yourself a quick blind in an area that affords you good oversight and good shots, and sit there. You can have a lot of good success sitting on the ground, its just you have to be more aware of your scent and movement then when in an elevated stand. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CTJohnB

Well my stand was crushed when my tree fell over durring a storm last night so I am now confined to ground Hunting for the next 4 days any tips or info would be great. I have always hunted from a tree stand and it's not what I am used to. Honestly I am not fond of ground ZHunting but it's better than missing my season. I have hunted on the ground when I first started But I never shot a Deer from the ground only a tree. so any Tips that can Help me be a bit more sucessfull please feel free to let me know Thanks

I only hunt from the ground (wife and kids asked that I dont climb) Anyway. CT sounds like you have already found a good spot but if not for the tree falling down you would still hunt there.
I would just hunt the same area but from the ground. You may have to be a little farther off the trail to stay concealed but the trail should still be good. Build a ground blind from and around the native vegetation and sit there and wait.
Be ready to shoot at all times similar to turkey hunting. Keep your movement to a minimum. you should be fine... Good luck
Old 11-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

CT, find some good crossing tracks on a trail and back off about 50yds to the side of the trail. Where ever the tracks are from crossing the trails, they will cross it again.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

If it is a good place to deer hunt use the fallen tree as your blind. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, what has already been said. I sure wouldn't be looking for a new spot. Trim some branches off that tree and create a little cover to break your outline and take a seat. You must have confidence in the spot if you hung your stand there. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input it was much appriciated, for red lion I am hunting rolling hills with thick laurel and pine on top and oak groves and swamps down below, it has been warm here so I am wondering how taht is going to affect the daytime activity? but starting tommorow it's back to cold normal weather, how long will it take to get the deeer to move durring the day after it's had a freak indian summer for a week then back to Cold normal weather? Thanks everyone for the info
Old 11-17-2006, 06:26 PM

I take a blind with me if I am going to hunt stationary from the ground. My blind is a piece of cam0 fabric or netting, about 30" high and 10 or more feet long. I stake it in four or five places with dowels. You can buy one already setup for about $15. The blind hides your body movements below your chest if you are sitting. I also always use one when turkey hunting.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 scenarios:
1. You're staying in the same spot for most of the time you're out for a day.
- Move no more than is necessary than to scan the area around you every min. or so. If you don't have to move your body by only moving your head, do it slowly. Scan what you can my only moving your eyes.
- Deer will pick up motion almost faster than anything.
- Be especially aware of your windage and stand downwind of most likely directions the deer are to come from.
- If you do see a deer, freeze and do not under any circumstance move until you are sure the animal is a. turned completed away or b. it's head is totally behind cover. Sometimes even when you don't think it can see you, they pick up enough motion and they're gone.
- Even if the animal is within 20 yards and looking right at you, if you remain totally motionless and they don't scent you, they won't necessary bolt. I"ve shot a number of deer shortly after this has happen and they turn away or get behind cover long enough for me to get into position once they re-appear broadside. The deer I shot 10 min. after shooting time this fall did this.

2. If you stalk for deer:
- Stalk slowly stopping often (e.g. every 5-8 steps) to look and listen for 30-60 second or more.
- Deer aren't necessary spooked by hearing something walking. They WILL be spooked and will be gone before you ever get a chance at them, if you keep right on walking. Only predators, especially people walk like that and they know it.
- If you hear what you think might be a deer, stop totally, look and listen. Before you even consider raising your weapon, be sure as always that it's deer and the right sex. Personally, I think being on the ground at their level heightens the excitement. Just don't let the excitment clound your judgement.

If you do shooting your deer, unless it drops immediately, wait and watch/listen. The deer is in a heighten state of flight as it is, if you take off running after it, just because you can because your on the ground, you're going to almost insure the animal is going to run further. Let it go and lay down and bleed out. 10-15 min. rest may save you much long searching and without snow, it may mean the difference between finding your deer or not, if it was a fatal but not immediate kill shot.

God speed.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

That was pretty informative MinnFinn Thanks, I Have been tryna stalk this year I got with in 40yards of 3 before they bolted, that was on a rainy day also so far on a dry day the closest I have gotten on dry cruchy leaves has been 50 yards all that was with the Bow But as far as gun this year so far I have yet to see one and only heard like 8 shots in the last 4 days but it's been wicked warm so they all the sign I have been finding is from night activity I am sure, Thanks again I deffinatly need to get a blind because I can only sit still for so long before I have to streach my legs.
Good HUnting everyone

Quick Reply: Ground Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.