Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Signs of does in heat?

Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Signs of does in heat?

How can you visually tell if a doe is in heat or not? I know bucks necks' get bigger and what not. Any "signs" on does to look for?

I got lots of does, and I'm wanting some meat. But, I don't want to shoot one if she's in heat.[&o] Also, I'm still buckless.

Any advice?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Signs of does in heat?

I don't know if there is any visual sing to look for except a buck is chasing her.

I do know when the bucke are chasing them they will walk and run with there tail sticking out and off to the side rather than running with the flag up.????????????????????????
Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 AM

Seems like I had read somewhere that their "haunches" get darker?! Is that the big joint just below the ham?
Old 11-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Their hocks get black...Look at the tuff of hair just above the knee on their back legs...If its black...They are "in"...Good Luck
Old 11-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

if there is snow on the ground, you can look for little drops of yellowish blood.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Other than whats been said already , I look to see how the doe's tail is : if straight out andoff to the side a little thats one sign thats she's ready to breed.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The true signs if a doe is "ready" is the high heels and short skirts![8D]
Old 11-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

In addition to those already stated I have seen them appear to look like they are dragging their butts across the ground. Really are squatting and peeing on their scent glands,etc. This is usuallyfollowed by bucks in tow. I have also notice they kind of loaf out of the brush vs stand and watch then walk.I'll try toexplainwhatI mean by loaf -they are alert in head position, high stepping with their legs and tails at half mass...this prance is often followed by the stop and look back to where they entered your field of view. Usually revealing a suitor!!

Alsojust like bucksdoes become less alert almost dazed in nature, it is like their guard is let way down for the period in which they have to be bred.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:33 PM

See if she's carrying a buck around on her back...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I'll try toexplainwhatI mean by loaf -they are alert in head position, high stepping with their legs and tails at half mass...this prance is often followed by the stop and look back to where they entered your field of view. Usually revealing a suitor!!

Alsojust like bucksdoes become less alert almost dazed in nature, it is like their guard is let way down for the period in which they have to be bred.
What was said right here is what I use to tell. Just as he said they will get a prance going and walk around in weird patterns. The tail will go up and down alot as they walk but will stay at half mass alot to. Another thing they do is wonder off and be alone. I do not know of anyone ever saying a in heat doe taste bad either.

I did one time see two does "coming" into heat last year, and let me tell ya that aint a pretty sight! At first I thought they were shot right up the butt!! Nasty!!

Quick Reply: Signs of does in heat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.