HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

I'd like to add...When you see a deer, or hear one approaching...Don't move...Evaluate the situation...Is this the deer that you want to kill??? During the rut...is it a doe?? Are her rear hocks black?? If they are, there might be a buck trailing her...Also if it is a doe, look around her...he might be off to one side, if you can, slowly raise your binoculars and check the surrounding area...When you decide that this is the deer that you want to take, wait until the deer can't see you and slowly get your weapon ready and then wait until the deer gives you a good clean killing shot....I have tracked too many deer that the guy just pulled up his gun and shot too quickly, when the deer was undisturbed, and they could have waited until a better shot opportunity presented itself....If you don't get a shot, big deal, you had a successful hunt, by just observing a beautiful animal...

I would also say, does don't usually travel alone...Button bucks will, and bucks certainly will...So, if it is a doe, be careful, because you can probably bet that she has others with her, and they are looking for you as well...

Finally...If you are rifle hunting, have your stand set up so that you have a good rest...All of us are better shots with a rest...