Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Golf Ball Skinning???

Old 11-19-2002, 07:57 AM

Default Golf Ball Skinning???

I can't figure out the golf ball skinning trick. Is there someone or someplace to go that could explain this to me? I would be the man of the hour in my group if I could skin a deer in a minute. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Golf Ball Skinning???

Hang the deer head up.
Slit the skin from the sternum to the head and then slit the skin around the neck below the head. Try not to cut into the meat.

Pull the skin down about 6 or 8 inches. Enough to put a golf ball on the hair side and form a knob that you can tie a rope to. Tie the other end of the rope to a car, truck or 4 wheeler. Drive away slowly. The skin will peel right off. Use strong rope or you make end up with the deer on the ground. I had to slit the skin on the front legs but I don't think you have to if you have a strong rope.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen it work many times, but I could never do it. The rope always broke, or the buck pole, or my bumper . A few times the hide didn't want to seperate from the meat and I pulled off the hide with both front quarters and half the back straps. I just can never make things work the easy way.

-Ray

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-19-2002, 12:47 PM

I agree with the above posts. I have seen it work and other times seen it make a mess. I think importantly is that the deer should be fresh killed and not stiffened. Use a metal gambrel and chain or cable. Also when you pull it off go slow and if the meat starts to seperate with the hide then go back to the knife. Just be careful.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2002, 08:15 AM

I am the one that posted the original golf ball skinning. A knife will give you a better job, but if you are in a hurry, a golfball is much faster.

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-21-2002, 07:00 PM

If you had a buddy, the two of you could work together with one using the knife for the sticking points. Best of all worlds. But I enjoy the hands on approach.

Old 11-21-2002, 10:31 PM

I always do it the golf ball way and have no problems at all. A warm deer does much better than a cold one but both will skin out just fine. The ol buck knife is just too slow for me.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:13 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen a good sized rock used instead of a golf ball but plastic coated cable seems to work best as it cinches tightly around whatever you use and it coils into an easy to store size. Ideally you use a winch for fine control of the pull but someone slowing driving off will work. Definately skinning all game while warm is the best way to go. As a kid I remember skinning rabbits before walking to the next shot was always easier than skinning after getting back home a few hours later.