Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how do you decide which deer to shoot first? >

how do you decide which deer to shoot first?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you decide which deer to shoot first?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:30 AM

Default how do you decide which deer to shoot first?

well ive never actually gotten a deer yet, i have 3 tags, 2 does and a buck. well i was planing on waiting around for a nice buck before i shoot anything but im really wanting some vension so i think im going to take the first nice doe i see just to hopfully calm the nerves a bit, thats the plan anyways not sure if its a good one or not but we will see.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how do you decide which deer to shoot first?

I would say the best thing that helped my calm my nerves was the first year i hunted private land i waited for a buck. I must have passed 10 does before i saw a buck it was a 130 class 8 pointer.(i know most wouldnt shoot a buck like that but it was my first buck i have seen so i decided to take it.) Passing all does the helped calm my nerves a lot. I was so used to hunting public land that if you didnt shoot the first one you saw you wouldnt see any more. However i also hunt with my dad and brother so deer in the freezer was not an issue for me. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 AM

Nothing wrong with taking a doe right away or waiting and taking a buck first. Personally I will take a good doe at any time. During the rut I will wait before taking a doe for the obvious reason to see if a buck is in tow.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know what calmed me down is just seeing deer.. I think that that allows you to stay calm when the big one come ur way.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 PM

I agree that seeing deer before actually shooting is good for settling down.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM

I shoot the first doe I see then wait for a buck, I have killed many bucks later in the day after killing a doe.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 PM

do you leave the doe there dead then kill the buck or do you gut it and take it out then go back?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

If it's brown put it down.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fordraceing_man

do you leave the doe there dead then kill the buck or do you gut it and take it out then go back?
I can't tell you how many years it took me to learn this. STAY PUT, especially if it is opening day. It pays off. I have seen does on opening day and after being skunked in archery, I want meat, so I harvest it. Depending on variables (temps, distance from vehicle, etc.) I'll remain in the stand for some time afterwards in the mornings until lunch time to get down and take care of it. In the afternoon, I'll let it be til I would typically leave the woods, as temps and relatively short huntable light allows it.

After getting down to dress does as a teenagerduring the NY shotgun opener in the A.M. and spooking other deer, even after a 1/2 hr. wait, I finally learned my lesson the third time it happenedwhen I shot not one, but two does who were togetherat 7:45am. I waited til 8:15 to give them time, although both were done in sight. I sent down my gun via rope off my ladder stand. With the gun on the ground, and me halfway down, I look out of the woods and see the 10 pt. buck I had been scouting all summer staring right back at me with a perfect 50 yard broadside shot. He promptly turned and high-tailed it to another awaiting hunter who introduced the buck to his 12 gauge shotgun.

Wait it out, you might end up bettering your luck after getting a deer.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's wat i did... I had a doe in the field and i was just messing around with it and putting hte crosshairs on her and all that good stuff. Then when my buck popped out i wasnt nervous at all. put the crosshairs on him and boom down he went.

Quick Reply: how do you decide which deer to shoot first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.