Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help? Gut shot 8/10 pt tonite

Old 11-20-2002, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help? Gut shot 8/10 pt tonite

“He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone” Sounds like a lot of people around here have never made an error in judgment.

I hope you find him. Good luck!

Mike
Old 11-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

The shot was not good, I wouldnt have taken the shot, the shot was taken, hopefully a leason was learned. Ill admit I learned shot placement from making a mistake. I wounded a deer that I had to track and then put down once I found it. I didnt like the experience one bit. Nothing is worse than walking up on a squirming deer. It still have bad feelings about it. These feelings are always there when I start to draw on every buck, constantly reminding me of the discomfort of wounding a deer. I take only good shots now or let the deer walk. Just this weekend I had some good does come in not far from my stand. I couldnt get a clean shot with out injuring another doe. Needless to say there are still three doe walkin today.

Lets hope this turns out to be a learning experience that can be passed down to others.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

CharlieP,

I misread his post. I thought he aimed between the shoulders, but the shot actually hit the deer further back. Indeed it was a bad shot, and I apolgize for coming off so harsh and not reading the post correctly. Having said that, I am sure he learned from it, and is his own worst critic without having to get hammered by countless hunters on this board. We should emphasize the shot was bad all we want, but I don't think "shouting" angrily at him the way some appear to be in this post is the right way to go. Give him credit for being up front with us and telling the story, and consider the incident a lesson learned.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:28 AM
Spike

GO TO THE ANIMAL SHELTER AND GET A BEAGLE-PUT DOG ON LEASH AND FIND DEER-RETURN DOG
MAKE THAT SHOT THE LAST ONE OF ITS KIND

Old 11-20-2002, 10:43 AM

I am more than sure that, ruffhunter, has gotten the point. It's time to stop making comments on it, now

We have ALL had to learn from our mistakes on way or another.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sooooooooo, did you find it?
Old 11-20-2002, 03:06 PM

No, he shot it in the rump, no vitals anywhere near where he shot.
Terrible judgement.
huntingbgbucks, if you made a "good" hit, you would have found the deer, rain or no rain, unless you are a terrible woodsman. A "good" shot puts the deer down quick, you shouldn't need a blood trail on 99% of double lung hits.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 11-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't want to pass the all mighty judgement. i think we all know it was a poor call and shot. However something is a miss here, first of aim point at the rump of the spine vs. the shoulder, neck and not to mention was he an 8 or 10 and 15-20 feet you should have known what gear he had on his head. Did you just get blind sided by the need to anchor this deer anyway you could and then figure the rest out later? If you got guts he is dead, dead, dead...look for the ravens, magpies, yotes...they often lead you to the kill. His meat will be lost for sure, but the rack and the lesson will remain. I hope if you found this animal you would hang your tag on him and not just saw the horns off and keep going. RESPECT if nothing else and maybe as a reflection on what not to do when only poor results can come out of it. I really hope you find him and will never take a shot like this again. A mistake is something we correct, not something we continue to do...that is ignorance!!!

Old 11-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-20-2002, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I read this at work and resisted posting until I came home and read a post from KSHUNTER on the Bow Forum. His words speak volumes and what was done is just best forgotten.

[He started walking right for me. Ended up coming in at such a straight line that I still didn't have a shot when he was only 10 yards away. I was in full draw as the buck stopped broadside behind a tree. I held for a good minute, with the only thing in my sights being his rump and head. Then as quick as he walked in he made a straight descent back the same way, leaving me no shot.]

Hunting the wilds of Jersey

Quick Reply: Help? Gut shot 8/10 pt tonite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.