Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

OMG i saw one

Old 11-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default OMG i saw one

For those who dont know me my name is justin and i am 13 and i live in A small town in central maine. I also have the worst luck in the word.....This is my 4th year of deer hunting and i saw my first deer..while deer hunting this year.....this afternoon while behind my house...me and my dad were sitting on this big logging trail where they had just cut a bunch of planted pines. they cut about every other tree and there were some big slash piles...my dad was across the trail from me in one of those slash piles and i was on a stump.....after a while my dad coughed then grunted a few times........about 5 minutes later i looked up and saw a bucks tail running through a clearing behind my dads brush pile....i signaled this to my dad and then the deer snorted 2 times and we rattled some more but he never came back. There is a bunch of scrapes around this area and this buck is in the rut...how should i hunt this deer after school this week....i will have about an hour after school on monday and tuesday and will probably sit in the same thought...what are the chances that ill catch him there again???? any ideas will be expected
Old 11-11-2006, 05:33 PM

Default RE: OMG i saw one

well im about a month from 15 and im about the same as you, i just shot my first deer, a doe in the indiana youth season at my cousins. i usually see about a deer a week but i always jump then or there like 300 yards away. i cant tell you how to hunt it cause i dont no the terrain but i can tell you to keep gettin in the woods and you will get your shot. it took me 4 years to get mine so maybe itll be the same for you!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok it sounds to me like you need to do some more homework on hunting first try not to spook the deer second scout a lot during the spring and find where they are at third set up your stand relative to them somewhere between15 and 20 ft up or a ground blind and be scent free as possible and get there early do some soft grunting use some lure plant food plots do everything you can and most importantly find a experienced MENTOR that is the key he will show you what to do i am 14 and have seen 30 plus deer this week because i learned from my mentor and have had days i could have seen 30 deer in a day a mentor is the most important thing in hunting so good luck to yall
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Oneshot is right , somewhat harsh , but right . Hunting in Maine is worlds away from hunting in NC or Indiana , connect with a mentor near you . Phil from Maine may be able to help you there , or another Mainer on this site . You're on the right track , but you need some experience counsel .
Old 11-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

sry i got excited and carried away[]
Old 11-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Spike

Ok let me make it more clear.....i have a great mentor...my dad......were just unlucky...and the reason we dont have a stand down there is because one of our friends has a piece of property where theres lots more deer and thats where our stand is.....where i saw the deer today the deer are huge but here few and far between....so its pretty much impossible to see 30 deer a week...
Old 11-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 deer all year though they are moving more than that and not all at night i would suggest a camera
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well,In the spring, sit out there just like you are huntin g and watch where and when they go. I really cant tell you how to hunt ther because Im from Texas and I dont know much about the landscape of maine.Also,set up a feeder and put a camera near it and check it often. Let the mentor lokk at the pictures, and if is good enough, he can tell you what you should do. And as for the luck, I cant help you there. I somehow seem to have the best luck in the world. I been in my stand 5 times and I have seen 14 deer and killed a 7 point and a good 8. Who knows maybe ypour luck will change.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Youth deer hunter

Ok let me make it more clear.....i have a great mentor...my dad......were just unlucky...and the reason we dont have a stand down there is because one of our friends has a piece of property where theres lots more deer and thats where our stand is.....where i saw the deer today the deer are huge but here few and far between....so its pretty much impossible to see 30 deer a week...
Im sure you do have a great mentor and im sure your dad has done a great job showing you the ropes but there has to be something your doing wrong dont take offense to that cause i dont mean it to be as harsh as it sounds but you should bes seeing some deer and BTW how did you know it was a buck you saw you said you saw the bucks tail? You have to see antlers or His... you know to know its a buck just seeing a tail isnt enough. Maybe try some public property around your house or someones place you can hunt. i would also recomend Asking some other people that hunt around your area.

GOODLUCK ON YOUR HUNT I HOPE YOU some deer