Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Loads

Old 11-07-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Deer Loads

Hey I just registered... I live in Southwest Mississippi and I hunt Whitetails. I shoot a Ruger M77 MK2 wood stock in .300 Winchester Magnum. It wears a Leupold VX2 3x9x40. I can shoot it well. Last year i used Factory Ammo .. Federal premium with a nosler accubond 180 grn.. i just sighted it in this year with Federal Premium 150 grn Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. i shoot deer at ranges from 45 to around 280 yards. Is this load a good choice? also how do yall feel about the ruger bolt action.. will this new load i changed too.. well tell me about it please
Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM

Default RE: Deer Loads

Also Does the bearclaw bulled expand well
Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speers TBBC is a bullet most consider for the larger deer species(elk/moose)or danagerous game. It has a large rear copper shankwith the core chemically bonded to the copper jacket to reduce seperation, yields high weight retention(speers state 95% retention with the TBBC) for penetration. No worries about it coming unglued or not penetrating a deer! Should work fine though the wound channelmay not be as large as the AB you used last year and the blood trail may be weaker due to the overall expansion being reduced on a thin skinned animal. More bullet than required for a whitetail but certainlyothers have used it with success on such animals. The fact you went with 150 gr version should help some in the wound channel as your velocity will be higher. If you aim for the shoulder should work awesome with very little meat damage.

As to the ruger CF's, not my favorite but plenty will disagree. If you like it that is all that really matters.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 PM

Welcome to the forum and sorry but I have no info on center fire loads.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Spike

I shoot 180 grainSpitzer Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .300WM for whitetails. I've used TBBCs for elk and in Africa but used Swift A-Frames on my last trip there when using this particular caliber.
TBBCs are very good bullets and would work fine on larger bucks.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Rem, model 700, 300 win mag, wearing a Vari X 111. It spits out 180 gr Bonded Bear Claws accurate enough for antelope out past 300 yards. You will have a max point blank range of over 300 yards. I have taken cleanly, antelope, mulies, whitetail, moose and elk with that load and nothing got away! I shot a moose one year dead on just below the throat and hit no bones. The bullet went past the diaphram and the moose went a whole thirty feet. The range was 120 yards. You are using a fine combination and will have no regrets assuming reasonable ranges. The bullet lacks target accuracy but is made to kill and it does a superb job. I tried x bullets but they are in my opinion too late in opening for deer. Bonded Bear Claws seem to open quickly, create a huge temporary wound cavity, hold together, are more than accurate enough for hunting, and penetrate! I've taken extreme raking shots, puched through shoulders and wacked antelope past 300 yards and will never go away from that bullet again. You sir, will not be disappointed assuming you are an ethical hunter.
Hope this is what you are looking for.
Don