Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Everything was perfect until "CLICK"!!! Bye 10 pt. >

Everything was perfect until "CLICK"!!! Bye 10 pt.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Everything was perfect until "CLICK"!!! Bye 10 pt.

Old 11-18-2002, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Everything was perfect until "CLICK"!!! Bye 10 pt.

Twas the last day of the hunting season here. Everything was perfect as far as the spot I had picked out. I sat twice about 100 yards away from it and observed the sound of a buck walking through the area. I could here his rack hitting the branches on the nearby cedar trees. Mike heard him walk through the same area on another morning and heard him grunt and it was so loud that Mike thought it was another hunter that stopped to grunt on his call. I checked and only found big buck tracks. I was rattling on both occasions nearby.

I got there real early and got into place at about 4:30 am. It was very cold (16 degrees F without the wind). I found a spot under this ancient white cedar tree right on the old rail fence line and made myself a lounge chair seat on the ground. I put my browning coat’s game bag on the ground to sit on and had used the custom placed cedar rail fence pieced for arm rests and waited comfortably for a while. The spot was surely perfect because I could see the open field but was shielded from anything in the field seeing me from the cedars low hanging branches. My silhouette was shielded fro anything in the wood seeing me because of the rail fence junction at the base of the 4’ in diameter White Cedar giant.
The wind was perfect and at my back, the tree shielding me from it and also the direction I expected to see the deer coming from. I waited a while and made a few calls. I still had an hour and a half to daybreak. About a half hour before I did some rattling with a shed a found and half of a nice 10 pointer I got in November of 2000. I rattled at a medium force and only for half a minute or so. Sounds seemed somewhat muffled with the slight but steady wind. I then waited and heard a distant shot at about 6:30 am. By this time my legs were getting very cold from sitting so I turned with my head to the tree and curled up trying to get my legs warm and listened intently for sounds. That crashing through the woods antlers hitting the branches sound. I rattled some more, this time more fervently, and little longer. I made 2 and three-second grunt and doe bleats two times in succession for each type of call and spaced about 15 minutes apart. I then heard a crash and some loud stepping. I looked up and saw this healthy nicely racked buck coming right down the edge of the field at about 8 yards away walking with the wind. He turned in about 5 yards before the big cedar on the well-worn deer trail and jumped the fence. I used this opportunity to shift my gun and get it up into shooting position for when he appeared again on the other side of the combination broken down stone/cedar rail fence. He appeared in his entire glory broadside at 5 yards. I could taste is loins over a fire at this very moment. The safety went off smoothly as I lined up the crosshairs carefully and automatically on his heart. I squeezed the trigger and “CLICK”. The buck looked up at me and shuttered a bit but start walking on his way again. I squeezed the trigger in dismay and then quickly cycled another round. The buck stopped again and looked up and this time when the gun went “CLICK”, he took off into the wood. I quickly cycled the last round hoping this one would work. I could now see the buck about 30 yards away through some dense brush. It seemed he was standing in a hole. I shot at his neck but the bullet did not meet its mark. I found the bullet in a small cedar clump behind where the buck was standing. I try not to look at the rack when sizing up a buck but I would say that this one was a good 8 and very possibly a nice 10 pointer. And so as my Father-in-Law tells me “That’s the way it goes sometimes.” On a better note I found a great piece of property that still has a lot of good buck action even after 2 weeks of the gun season. I don’t know if this particular buck will using that run again but there most likely will be another and we may tag him during the extended bow season this year or when he’s even bigger during next years firearm buck season. I didn’t cry but thanked the Lord for the fine sighting of a beautiful animal. The gun and shells I was using were both Remington. I’ve never had a problem with either before but will have to check into this thoroughly. I did have a guy mention that Remington 3” Magnum Sluggers was having a problem, that some guys had reported misfires with them.

Just thought I would let you know in case you were using these types of slugs. A guy mentioned on my other post that the primers were set too low and the primer would have a small dent in it. This exactly describes my shell casing.

I could have jumped him with my knife with better results. We have till the end of the year to get him with the bow.

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html
Old 11-18-2002, 03:21 PM

Default RE: Everything was perfect until "CLICK"!!! Bye 10 pt.

since i have my hunting ammo loaded on the cheaper cci primers i worry about them not going off, but for next year i think i will use winchesters.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Spike

What a heartbreaking story. To bad your gun didn't have a bayonet on it.lol You have got a great attitude about the experience. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:48 PM

well droptine that is some tuff luck. My dad had a similar problem with his remington,it was the saftey. The saftey on the remingtons arent shaved down enough, but if you take it and get it checked out it might be the problem. GOOD LUCK
Old 11-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks 270,
I'm going to take it in and have the gunsmith take a good long look at it and I'll mention what you told me.

I may take a stab at it myself first, but I wouldn't know what a worn firing pin would look like anyhow let alone a safety that needs a shave. I did use that rust check oil on the gun lately and am wondering if that stuff worked it's way into the block somehow and gummed up the firing pin. Lots of WD might do it.

I'll post the pictures when I get him with the bow; or my Jim Bowie!!

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html

Edited by - droptine on 11/18/2002 20:41:09
Old 11-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Spike

Things could be worse. It could have gone "click" at a charging GRIZZ. Of course we would have not heard about your story.

Tifford

Hold Steady
Old 11-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy thats a bummer, you gotta hate that when it finally comes pay day and then some unknown pops up, been there and done it.
Droptine, how many times have you fired that gun prior to the season? Did you have any miss fires then? Are you sure it wasn't the gun or maybe operator malfunction? Just curious.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dropper,

Congratulations! You have been "Slugged!". Let's just refer to it as exactly that from now on. "Slugged!"

Another victim of primers being set too deeply in the brass.

Bet there were just slight/faint little dents in the primers.

Really though, I'm sorry to hear about your "bad luck". (Actually I mean Remington's poor quality control!)

At what? $1.75 to $2.00 /box. You get what you pay for. My own choice is a premium German slug - Brenekke Rottweil. About $5.00/box. QUALITY!

Since I've been "discovering" more and more people being "Slugged!" I know I won't chamber any round w/o checking it real good. Heck, when you shoot a single shot slug gun like I do....you don't get a second chance once that hammer drops! (12 gauge H & R Ultra Slug Hunter here)

Wish you better luck next time out Dropper.

Now....."Go Get Ya One!"
Old 11-19-2002, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I had never had a problem with that gun misfiring or have I ever had a misfire in any gun. I only use this gun for deer hunting which is 2 weeks out of every year. I shot about 10 shots out of it to sight it in with a scope I had remounted on it. The shots were all in the bull at 35 yards (distance of most of my shots). When I got to the spot instead of slamming the action closed I just eased it up to lock it in place without making to much noise. I made sure it was locked in place by trying to pull back on it and it was locked.

uncle Matt,
I used to use those rotts but can't get them up here in Ontario. There is one called Challenger that is also deadly accurate but I don't know if they have any problems with misfires. I also use the challengers but the rems were just a little more accurate so that's why I stuck with them this year.

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick