Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question on 12gauge barrels

Old 11-17-2002, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default question on 12gauge barrels

a have been bow hunting deer for the last 4 years and gun hunting the last two. i never had my own gun, i would just use my buddies. i just got passed me down a 12 gauge with a 30 inch barrel full choke with a beeb sight. my buddies uncle told me that if i shoot slugs out of it that it will reck the full chock barrel and i want to use the gun for turkey hunting too. is this true. do i need to get a a new barrel or will i be ok. also if i can use that barrel, my buddy was telling me i could put more of a rifle sight on it, something called tue glow, not sure about what to do. please let me know i am kinda strapped for cash and gun season begins today. any help would be greatly appreshated!!

good hunting.

Old 11-18-2002, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question on 12gauge barrels

If you shoot the old foster-type rifled slugs, you won't wreck your barrel. They were designed to go through a choked barrel. It may not be very accurate though.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: question on 12gauge barrels

Tell us what kind of shotgun (make and model) it is so we can help you out.

Most modern shotguns have interchangeable barrels so you could pick up a slug barrel for it. You might even be able to pick up a different choke to use as well, I believe there are rifle chokes out there but I may be wrong.

Anywya, be as specific as possible so everyone can help you out here.