Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question about Green Mountain Barrels. >

Question about Green Mountain Barrels.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about Green Mountain Barrels.

Old 12-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about Green Mountain Barrels.

I found a muzzleloader in a pawn shop that has a Green Mountain barrel. The pawn shop owner claims the Green Mountain barrels are better than the rest? I am new to muzzleloading & would like to buy a good muzzleloader. What can you tell me about Green Mountain barrels?

Thanks,
Old 12-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about Green Mountain Barrels.

Green Mountain barrels are very good barrels.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:17 AM

Green mountain makes the barrels for Knight rifles. They are very good barrels. They do some of the little things that make them cost a little more, but it shows in quality.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Green Mountain barrels are one of the top of the line barrels out there. Of course there are better but you would pay dear for them. To give a example, a friend of mine put the Green Mountain .54 caliber 1-70 twist drop in barrel in his T/C Hawkins rifle. We were shooting one afternoon at a target. While we were trying to shoot the bullseye out, he was knocking the thumbtacks off the corner of the target as a joke.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have two barrels for my T/C 50 cal Hawken. I have the original old 1-48 twist that came with the gun in 1982, and I use it for hunting. I also have the Green Mountain 1-70 twist roundball barrel that I do most of my recreational shooting with. It would also do well for hunting with round balls, because you can load all the way up to the max. load of 110 gr. of ffg, and not lose your accuracy. I don't hunt with it much because it is 4 inches longer, and I hunt in thick brush.
Green Mountain barrels have won many shooting matches, but if I were buying it used, I would slide a bore light down the barrel, and check for pitting. A lot of people never learn how to take care of a gun, much less a muzzleloader.

Is this gun an inline or a sidelock?

C. Davis
Old 12-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

I found a muzzleloader in a pawn shop that has a Green Mountain barrel. The pawn shop owner claims the Green Mountain barrels are better than the rest? I am new to muzzleloading & would like to buy a good muzzleloader. What can you tell me about Green Mountain barrels? Thanks,
Green Mountain makes very good barrels. They may be better than a lot of the barrels on imported rifles, I am not sure about this. They ARE NOT better than barrels by other U.S. ML barrel makers like Douglas, Colerain, Getz, some of the other individual custom barrelsmiths, etc.!!
Old 12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

eldeguello do you know by chance who makes the barrels for Thompson Center? Does Thompson Center produce their own or use someone elses like Knight use Green Mountain. The reason I ask is I own a couple of Thompson Center Rifles, and have always been impressed at how well they shoot. I guess I am just curious. I always figured Thompson Center made Thompson Center but the more you think, most companies use someone else's barrels.