Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

243 and deer

Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Default RE: 243 and deer

Chantecler111

Yep, I know what you mean. Zrex' did a great job on this post, and there are not many situations in our Happy state where a magnum would be the required medicine. But, at my lease, they logged 80 acres this past summer. I now have the possibility for a 500 yard shot. BUT, I do not feel good about a 500 yard shot. 400 MAX YARDS, MAYBE. So with that said, I can take my .308 and it will handle anything I would shoot at. 300 - 400 yards max, I can take the 7mm-08. 250 to 300 yards max I can take the .243. So I honestly believe that I have a short action caliber that will handle any shooting situation I might have. ( I love short action calibers , if you couldn't notice...LOL ). If I am not sure about my hunting situation that day, or I go somewhere else to hunt deer or a larger animal, I have the .270 or the 30-06, which will take up any slack.

And , BTW, there is nothing wrong with a .280. It can just about do it all.

But I do like short action guns, because they are versitle. I can use this Ruger Compact in a tower stand, ladder, or climbing, with equal ease. It is only 35 1/2 " OAL. and is just under 6 lbs. without the scope. It is light , handy, and will come to point very quickly and easily.

My other small gun is a Rem. Model 7 in 7mm-08. The .308 is a full size Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless / Synth. It is a tack driver.

Good Gun huntin'.. And if you need any help, holler at me, I love shopping for new guns.LOL.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:30 PM

Thank you, Michael, LOL.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

.338 Win Mag just isn't necessary in Arkansas, I own one, BTW, and I'm going to trade it in as well, I definently have some rifle searching to do,LOL.

You can actually be overgunned, people say thats not true but it is. The .338 is designed for big game, its bullet is designed for bone crushing penetration,the heavy bullet can punch through a little 'ol whitetail without breaking a sweat and getting no expansion, so the size of the hole can be .338 in diameter, a .243's expanded diameter reaches .5 of an inch, a .30 calibercan be .65. A 45-70 would probably not expand well on a whitetail either but thats a big hole, .45 of an inch.
Target resistance plays into expansion. Deer just dont really offer any resistance so to speak of.Generally one would want total penetration with exit, with total expansion. The more tissue damage the faster the kills, so tecnically hollow points and bullet fragmentation only ads to the killing power, but not if it does it before reaching both lungs.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

.338 Win Mag just isn't necessary in Arkansas, I own one, BTW, and I'm going to trade it in as well, I definently have some rifle searching to do,LOL.

You can actually be overgunned, people say thats not true but it is. The .338 is designed for big game, its bullet is designed for bone crushing penetration,the heavy bullet can punch through a little 'ol whitetail without breaking a sweat and getting no expansion, so the size of the hole can be .338 in diameter, a .243's expanded diameter reaches .5 of an inch, a .30 calibercan be .65. A 45-70 would probably not expand well on a whitetail either but thats a big hole, .45 of an inch.
Target resistance plays into expansion. Deer just dont really offer any resistance so to speak of.Generally one would want total penetration with exit, with total expansion. The more tissue damage the faster the kills, so tecnically hollow points and bullet fragmentation only ads to the killing power, but not if it does it before reaching both lungs.
Even so, I don't see Bambi going too far after being hit in the lungs with a .338, or the shoulders for that matter.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

no doubt
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 PM

Zrex, I have to admit, though, you have enlightened my thinking in the world of killing power.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 300 grain HP bullets expand well in the 45-70. The Heavier round nose like the 350 Grain Hornady Interlock need top 45-70 velocities to expand in Game like bears. Reloadig is what gives a hunter a wide range of versitility as most all calibers have bullets available which perform well on thin skinned and also heavier game. Also at a wide range of velocities. Sectional density also has a huge effect on bullet expansion low SD bullets will expand in small game and varmits but will probably blow up on heavier game. High Density bullets may well punch small holes through lighter game and have no or very little expansion. Sd of 200-250 is about right for deer while 260-300 is suited for elk and 300 on up for very heavy beasts with thick hides. This changes a bit with heavy pistol bullet with less density but wide flat noses.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:36 AM

WOW, i learned alot about the 300 mag, I love the 243, and the magnums are overrated. If i could only own one gun it would probably be the 300 mag, but who only owns one gun. I'm talking about hunting deer. Some of us should learn to hunt, so shots over 300 yeards don't happen.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: leow

WOW, i learned alot about the 300 mag, I love the 243, and the magnums are overrated. If i could only own one gun it would probably be the 300 mag, but who only owns one gun. I'm talking about hunting deer. Some of us should learn to hunt, so shots over 300 yeards don't happen.
Its not that the magnums are overrated, its just, the average hunter, doesn't need them, 99.9% of hunters hunt in conditions, in which, the longest shot doesn't exceed 100 yards, magnums, were designed for long range shooting, 400+ yard shots, and quite frankly, all of the magnums I have ever owned, peform superbly at long range, and will drop a deer in his tracks, at ranges under 100 yards. Magnums, are very deadly, as a long range weapon, in the right hands. But, some people just don't enjoy the thunder, or the recoil that they generate.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:31 AM

what aboutthe 243 wssm

Quick Reply: 243 and deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.