Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting with different groups

Old 11-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Default hunting with different groups

hi - i just wanted to know some opinions about a problem we're having. my ex-husband has told our sons that they cannot hunt with my boyfriend and if they do they won't be able to hunt with him. now the way he explained this to the boys is that it's like playing for a football team, you only play for one team. so if they hunt with their fathers "team" they cannot hunt with anyone else's "team". do other people believe this? i think that it's good for them to hunt with different people because they can learn different things from different people. they both love hunting and they've both said that they want to hunt with both their father and my boyfriend. what are some opinions.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: hunting with different groups

Sounds like the father can't accept the fact that things have changed in the family's lives. Not knowing the background (and it is none of my business) it is hard to give opinions. Is he active in the kids lives? Has he been taking them hunting regularily? How old are they? I don't see any reason they should be restricted on who they hunt with.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:09 PM

Tell Dad too grow up! I bet it wouldnt be the first time!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:26 PM

the boys are 9 and 11. their father does take them hunting on his weekends and they've been hunting with my boyfriend on the other weekends. my question really is more about is there truly any reasoning behind not hunting with more than one group of hunters? does it do any harm?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Does there father give any reasoning as to 'why' he doesn't want them hunting with your boyfriend? Not knowing the story behind why things are the way they are now, hard to say why there father is being the way he is. It sounds totally wrong to me and I feel for the kids with 'Dad' putting them in this position to choose. Like timbercruiser said above, "Sounds like the father can't accept the fact that things have changed in the family's lives." About sums it up IMO.

Nothing wrong, what so ever, with hunting with different 'groups/people', like you said, can always learn different things from different people.

Hopefully, you all can work something out.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:32 PM

the reasoning he gives is that it's like playing for afootball team, you only play for one team. you know like if you play for the patriots you wouldn't play for the rams.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 PM

Well, that's totally screwy and stupid IMO. Tough situation for the kids with parents being split up (been there, done that as a kid), but that reasoning is just stupid. I could somewhat understand if it were a safetyconcern or something like that, he was concerned with, but that doesn't sound like it at all.

To me, it doesn't sound like he has the kids best interests in mind. If he did,there would be something more substantial tohis reasoning than what he's giving you/them now.

I guess just try and explain it to the kids the best you can. Hate to see this situation cause more grief between your family, and would especially hate to see maybe the kids give up hunting because they don't want to choose between one or the other. Smack your ex with a frying pan and hopefully knock some sense into him. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sadly, I think the father is a little full of crap. He is trying to control the kids. To answer your question I don't think there is anything wrong with hunting with different camps or groups of hunters. Of course that depends some on the makeup of the people in the camps, but if they are all good people then nothing wrong.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Of course that depends some on the makeup of the people in the camps, but if they are all good people then nothing wrong.
Same thoughts here!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a little natural jealousy.

As long as the boyfriend isn't taking time away from the dad hunting with the boys, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as there isn't another issue such as safety.

Quick Reply: hunting with different groups

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.