Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer sniffing arrows--has this happened to you? >

Deer sniffing arrows--has this happened to you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer sniffing arrows--has this happened to you?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Deer sniffing arrows--has this happened to you?

On two occasions deer have sniffed arrows of minethat were shot at things. On the first occasion, I missed a doe and then had another doe come and sniff the arrow. On the second occasion, I missed a squirrel and then had a nice 8 point come and sniff and then lick the arrow. Has this happened to you? I was just wondering why they would sniff an arrowbut not spook from it. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 AM

Default RE: Deer sniffing arrows--has this happened to you?

Ive never had a deer come in and sniff and arrow, but last year I had a coyote come in, and at half draw my release broke, and the arrow flew out about 10 yards and stuck in the ground, he saw it stick in the ground, and ran to it, I though he was going to grab it, but it only took a tiny sniff and he was hauling tail getting out of there, kinda funny actually, except for my bleeding lip from hitting myself when the release broke.lol
Old 11-03-2006, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

My first time bowhunting ever (too many years ago), I had a nice little six pointer at 15 yards, missed him clean. He hopped off a couple yards, as I was reaching for another arrow I dropped it...clang, clang, clang. The buck walked off without me getting another shot. 10 minutes later 2 does come in and one of them went right to my arrow and started smelling it.I hit her perfectly...got out of the tree, retrieved my 3 arrows and my first deer with the bow.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:20 AM

Forget putting out scents and bait, just fire off a few arrows from your stand when you get there!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 AM

I was pulling back on a doe a few weeks ago and my release slipped. Arrow went through the burlap around my stand and stuck 2 feet in front of her. She walked over and sniffed it then turned and walked away. I couldn't get another arrow knocked up in time. I guess, "an opertunity missed is an opertunity lost"!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:58 AM

well kinda emparasing but ill share, last year i was bowhunting of course and had a button buck start circling around me, so of coure i was getting ready to prepare myself for the shot, well right when i though i had the shot i wanted i drew my bow back just a couple of inches and decided i didnt want that shot, well when i let the string back down my arrow fell off, and let me tell you, that was my 5th year bowhunting and had only shot at one deer(actually the night before) and my heart instantly sank. I stood motionless as if my arrow was falling in slow motion. When it finally hit the ground the deer kinda spooked a little bit and looked over to see what he just heard. Well he did end up coming right underneath me and started sniffing around on the arrow. At about that time i managed to re-knock another arrow and as he was walking away he ended up perfect broadside and i put about the best shot on a deer you could possibly do with a bow. It did take 5 years and one miss but ill have to say this, it was worth the wait, im still only 19 so i still get pretty excited about this stuff. So Yes, i have had a deer sniff my arrow and it proved very costly to him. Lesson learned- you sniff my arrows and ill shoot you.LOL. thought id share my story with you guys,
Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 AM

Great stories and ideas. It could've proved costly on a deer of mine too. That 8 point was sniffing the arrow for about a minute at 10 YARDS, but I didn't havea buck tag. Oh well, all the more memories.