Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 All Day Hunting, Overrated????????????? >

All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

Old 10-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Spike

Default All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

I have been bowhunting whitetails for 22 years now. I have set on all day hunts nearly every year on occasion, during the pre-rut and the rut. i can honestly say that i have never seen or harvested a mature buck from noon to 3pm, WHILE ON STAND. i have taken several good bucks, 7 to be exact.a 14, two- 12's, three-10's, and a nice 8. the two biggest both gross over 155"! I think this year i will probably try to scout or nap during that time frame. How many of you have been on an all day hunt and taken a nice buck, while on stand from noon till 3 pm?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Default RE: All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

I usually have to come out of my tree by noon to stretch my legs and get the feeling back in my feet and rear end.
I'd like to stay all day, but I think I would lose my mind...
Old 10-27-2006, 12:48 PM

I was just talking to a couple of bucks last week about this. They said this is america and if they want to get up and move around they will! There are too many variables to just say deer will only move at a certain part of day. Weather, pressure, predators. I Shot a 10 pointer at 2:00pm
Old 10-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

I don't usually get a chance to hunt all day but last year I was looking at a moon phase chart and it said for the week the best times would be between 1 and 3. The first and second day I hunted all day and didn't see anything. The third day I saw a group of does and a nice buck at 1:30. I was hunting a field with a muzzleloader and they were a long ways away so i didn't get a shot. I really believe the moon phase has a lot to do with deer movement.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

A little thought will clarify matters some. You have a better chance of shooting a deer if you are hunting than if you are sitting in an easy chair at home snoozing. It is hard to argue that hunting through the middle part of the day is BAD for hunting early or late. Thus, it just boils down to whether you have the time to commit to deer hunting in the middle of the day and if the probability of seeing a deer during the middle of the day is worth giving up what you would otherwise do with that time -- snooze in the easy chair, play cards back at deer camp, eat a hot lunch in a cafe.

For the last several years I hunt the morning until 9:30 AM or 10 AM, drive back to the place I'm staying, hang out until 2 or 2:30 PM, drive back to the hunting ground and am ready to hunt about 3 PM. Following this system I manage to shoot deer, which is the objective. I don't see that my objective would be better satisfied if I stayed out all day long. I am not a trophy hunter and not particularly selective what I shoot, so long as it is not a fawn. I will shoot does and I will shoot smallish bucks. In fact I prefer does because they are pretty tender to eat -- which is the reason I hunt deer.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:42 PM

All the deer I've taken have been right before dark and I've taken one in the mornings. I've hunted all day only to find myself watching a few spikes and doe play and eat, which was nice to watch but as far as seeing some monster deer................ehh didn't happen. I will still hunt all day some. funny thing, is the past five years, when stand on my back I've killed more deer than in a stand. To be exact, I've killed one from a stand in five years and the rest have been leaving my stand/tree. Funny how things happen like that.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:57 AM

Not taken a deer but I've twice seen NICE bucks from the road driving home from the stand. At what times I'm not sure but it was "midday" for sure. That's been only twice though in about 8 years (only about 4 seasons really ought to count thought)
Old 10-28-2006, 01:24 AM

My 2 best deer were taken between 10 and 2 pm. 1 was pushed by hunters leaving theyre stand, the other was trolling for does. If your going too stay all day dont hunt a field edge,, hunt thick travel corridors between bedding sites. I sit all day during the gun season, I may get up and take a short walk but I dont leave the area, and its very brief that im out of the stand.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ain't gonna argue this one. I believe the more you're out there the better your chances.

However if you're gonna have them there deers patterned (or atleast you have observed them and are very knowledgeable) you can choose daytime slots if you want.

But more than anything the biggest factor is what kind of property are we talking about?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.