HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????
Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

A little thought will clarify matters some. You have a better chance of shooting a deer if you are hunting than if you are sitting in an easy chair at home snoozing. It is hard to argue that hunting through the middle part of the day is BAD for hunting early or late. Thus, it just boils down to whether you have the time to commit to deer hunting in the middle of the day and if the probability of seeing a deer during the middle of the day is worth giving up what you would otherwise do with that time -- snooze in the easy chair, play cards back at deer camp, eat a hot lunch in a cafe.

For the last several years I hunt the morning until 9:30 AM or 10 AM, drive back to the place I'm staying, hang out until 2 or 2:30 PM, drive back to the hunting ground and am ready to hunt about 3 PM. Following this system I manage to shoot deer, which is the objective. I don't see that my objective would be better satisfied if I stayed out all day long. I am not a trophy hunter and not particularly selective what I shoot, so long as it is not a fawn. I will shoot does and I will shoot smallish bucks. In fact I prefer does because they are pretty tender to eat -- which is the reason I hunt deer.