Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Shoot
0%
Don't Shoot
95.83%
Not Sure?
4.17%
Need more information
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM

Default What would you do?

This morning I was hunting (Muzzleloader) and had a deer at 50 yards but, it was very low light and I couldn't tell if it was a small buck or a small doe. The deer looked to be a yearling and was by it's self.

What would you do in this situation? I know what I did but, I am wondering if there are anyother hunters out there that think like me.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM

Default RE: What would you do?

Don't shoot was my vote.

If I'm not able to determine what the deer is, then that decides it for me.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

NO WAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!![:'(]
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 PM

no bang!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

it was very low light and I couldn't tell if it was a small buck or a small doe.
No need for more information your above quote says it all. Positive identification is a must beforeI think about clicking the safety off.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Obviously my vote is for "Don't shoot"..... no positive ID, no shoot...

May I recommend binoculars next time?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 PM

Had a 3x9x40 scope and I could see the deer good, I could see it's eyes and most features. I couldn't tell by looking if it had button's or small spikes. With it being so young I couldn't use the long face as a tell tell, and with the background the shape of the head was distorted. Yesterday I had a deer come out on the same stand but on the other lane, I got a good look at her, it was well after daylight and she was about 130 pounds (a mature doe in louisiana). She had a long nose, and her head was round between her ears. i took the time to look at the deer and make sure that it was a doe before deciding to pull the trigger.

I didn't take the shot this morning because with my experiance if a deer walks out by it's self most of the time it is a small buck. I would rather not shoot and it be a doe than to make the shot and it be a small buck. I am trying to lead by example in my club and we are slowly but surely getting people to follow our lead.

He can't get any bigger if you shoot him.

Thanks for all that voted
Old 10-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

One of the rules of hunting is to make sure you know what you are shooting at. Since you could not make out between a small buck or doe, the answer is simple. Do not shoot.