Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How you got your start hunting? >

How you got your start hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How you got your start hunting?

Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How you got your start hunting?

I got my start, which is this year, because a buddy of mine wanted me to go along with him one time last year. I didn't have my license, so I went along and sat in a stand watching. We didn't see anything that night. It was one of those nights when the leaves are so crunchy that you can hear a twig fall in the woods. I liked the idea of hunting b/c it was something I could do when it was nice out and crappy out. There are plenty of days the weather is crappy in the fall and there is nothing else to do. I got my hunter safety in the spring, got a turkey and then focused all summer long on getting everything needed for the Fall Deer season. I scouted after last season in the fall, looked for tracks in the winter and saw my first couple bucks on my property this past summer. I can't wait to see my first buck up in the stand and get a shot at my first buck! So far I haven't seen anythinggo by my stand whenI've had agun. Can't wait to seewhat goes on during the rut!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Ive been hunting since I was seven.I then started deer hunting at 11.Good Times!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up not hunting; no one in immed family did, so no opportunities. I'd have liked to have gone, but no opportunities. I was always a bit of a gun nut; bought a Winchester 120 shotgun in early 20s (1984 or so) and went rabbit hunting a few times. Moved to NC, met a guy who hunted - I wanted to go - bought a Savage 110, he took me hunting - I was 28yrs old. Ended up killing first deer - spike buck - witht that Winchester 12ga using buckshot.

No more hunting for near tenyears... then met up with an Uncle I'd not seen since teen years - he took me pheasant hunting in Minnesota. I was jazzed (I shot a pheasant with my old 120) and joined a deer club upon return to NC. I've been obsessed with deer hunting since that year, 1999.

Went this evening; no deer. As I walked into the woods I realized I left ramroad for ML at home; found a straight twig and made one!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 PM

My dad and uncles used to hunt a lot when they were young, so I said I wanted to try it out. So dad woke me at the crack of dawn one cold, rainy morning and put me in the stand. Not long after I killed my first one and I have been addicted since.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to my uncle, I was educated alot about hunting ever since I was 4yrs. old. He even dissected a shotgun shell for me, in order that I might see what was in that intriguing piece of plastic. He showed me photos of when he hunted, and when Iwas 12, I said to my dad, "Dad, I want to get through a hunter'ssafety course!". I asked my uncle about it, and he was pretty darn happy that I wanted to get one, and after I passed I started to save up for a rifle,for which I'll have enough money in January, when I go hunting whitetails for the first time in Alabama.
I'm really exited about it!I wish it wasn't in January, and sooner, but hey, I get to go hunting thisseason!