Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

400 yards isn't all that far.

But, without looking at the ballistic's chart, which would probably be almost identical between the 30/06 and the .308. I would have to say that I would be more comfortable using the 30/06 than the .308 at that distance. Even though the ballistics might be the same. More powder in the case = more power down range in my opinion.

Because a deer is a majestic creature in my book, it deserves a little more consideration than just throwing lead at it and praying that you might hit it.

I once took a 300 yard shot at a 12 point buck at the bottom of a field with my 35 Remington and I even managed to wound the deer before it got away. Since I only took two clips with me - because the only time I had to hunt was after work. I worked at a local University and one of my co workers told the story of that particular deer being in his back yard that morning.

Only he didn't hunt, so he didn't have any reason to lie about it.

I on the other hand believed his story and went to his neighbors farm and asked for permission to hunt and after a hour of beating the bush, I kicked that deer out and wouldn't even noticed it - if it wasn't for the fact that I looked back when I went to cross over the farmers wooden fence between the fields.

Even then, I aimed 12 inches over the deer's back, thinking that the rifle had a tremendous amount of drop at that distance. I since then learned that you shouldn't ever hold more than at the top of the body on any deer.

With two bullets left in the gun, the deer came right to me broadside - 125 yards away and I took a shot, again aiming high and I hit the deer and one of the neighbors came down through the field with his 4 wheeler and scared the deer away. I went to track it, only the farmers kid had other plans, and kicked it out of it's bed and it got up and ran away.

We tracked it for a mile and I never got the deer.

I imagine that one of the other neighbors got that deer sometime later that year or found the rack while small game hunting.

If I would have had my 7mm Remington Magnum or my .300 Winchester Magnum - we wouldn't even be having this discussion because I would have had that deer by the second shot.

Even the 30/06 would have been more than enough rifle to get the job done.

The only thing you have to have is confidence in yourself and in the rifle that you are using. Know the ballistic's of the ammo that you are using and make sure that the wind is in your favor.

If you can shoot a groundhog at 400 yards with a 22-250 or a 220 swift, why can't you shoot a deer with a 300 winchester magnum?

At least witha deer, you have a target that is 30 times bigger than the groundhog.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
OGW

ORIGINAL: basserman

...Its all about capabilities and desire to hunt a certain way
You know I read through 23 pages of thisthread to see that.
Others may have said it in different ways but your simple statement pulled the trigger.
I completely agree with your statement..and the rights of other people to disagree with us

Yes...this kind of post comes up every year.
It's debated in the same way...Every Year!
Evidently...I have wasted alot oftime being who I wanted to be...all the while I could have been a carbon copy of "The Perfect Hunter".
OH...Your opinion matters more than the next guy eh...Take a number
Your in good company right next to politicians running for public office who call me on the phone at anytime during the eveningand the IRS[:'(]

I sincerely apoligize if you feel in any way offended by my reply and comments...and my apparent inability to conform to your condescending rehtoric. I'm sorry I must have missed your mailing for the courseI do not doubt youhad on "How to be like Me"!
I am however very happy that you feel strongly about your way of hunting...hopefully someday you will give that right to others(not that thier going to turn blue waiting on your approval).

I feel so much better now...I got out enough sarcasm there to do me the rest of the season...be angry at me if you wish...obviously your wishes come before any others so you'll be happy too!
See...now dont you feel better
(I better stop now because I'm into next years alottment of sarcasm...LOL)

You hunt your way and I'll hunt mine...We have that privelege!
I was going to say "Right"...but hunting is a "Privelege".
When you start telling me my license should be taken away because I choose to hunt differently than you...you lost more than my respect as a fellow hunter...you lost common courtesy.

BTW...I'm just as happy with my choice of a Doe @5yds with a Bow as I am with my choice of folding a decent buck @ 376yds with my .06.
Both situations Absolutely Required me to control myselfto the point where I couldmake a decision that answered a simple question:
"YES or NO"
I'm no less happy then someone who chooses to hunt within different parameters. For me my "Hunting" is not a Yes or No question..but every single shot I choose to take Absolutely has to answer that question, "YES or NO"? ....beyond a shadow of a doubt at any range with any weapon.
Enjoy Your Hunting Season.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Very nicely put OGW
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

I voted for 30.06, because of all my rifles thats the one Im most comfortable with shooting, and the one I use the most. It is more then capable of shooting that far. Just make sure you practice ALL year. And only shoot the ranges your comfortable with.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

I don't understand why you guys think it's BS. I spend a lot of time and money practicing 500 yard shots along with my son, who by the way just got out of Iraq and was a sniper with the 125th Infantry.

I'll bet you guys practice just enough to "feel good" about a 100 yard shot. As for the 500 yard shot my buddy took standing up .. he has the Kentucky State Record for a typical white tail deer and he practices with us also.

If you smell anything, well, they say "a fox smells his own hole."

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

.300 Wetherby with a 4X12 Nikon.

Longest kill was 468 yards at a doe coming out of cedars and then immediately another one came out at 486 yards, two shots two kills.

I watched a buddy shoot a big ten pointer at 510 yards free handed while the buck was runnin'.

It's called Kentucky Windage ...
woah, somthing smells. What is it though? hmmmm. oh yea! it's BS!

haha. Actually i think i smell it too.
damn its STRONG
Damn, chill out!!! I just didnt hear antone backing that guy up when he posted and i figured that if it were true someone would have said something. Its about time
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

I smell something now ... sandwiched between peer pressure, and an apology! LOL

OGW and basserman said it best!

Just chillin' and grillin'... run fox run!

[/quote]
Damn, chill out!!! I just didnt hear anyone backing that guy up when he posted and i figured that if it were true someone would have said something. Its about time
[/quote]
Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Look i wanted peoples opinions, which is why i posted it Now say what u will,but when you try to downngrade what i do with quotes like u wouldnt hunt if u couldnt get closer and bull like that. Other than that there is no right or wrong answer. If 1 guys says its about capabilites and desire, then ok but every post what u believe, its about opinions.
P.s. 2poppa, i dont know what ur talkin about"fox", i m a human, !!! And it aint an apology
Old 08-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

all I wanna know about is, when the 10 pointer was shot at 510 yds free handed, running, was it with a mirror over the shoulder?
c'mon, I've shot a few at 500 and much more, you don't shoot running game that far, with an average firearm the lead would have to be 26 feet on a running deer,even if your buddy made the shot it was a 1 in 1000000, luck shot. In the game of LR deer hunting you don't count on luck. yep I smell somethin too!
RR
Thank you
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

all I wanna know about is, when the 10 pointer was shot at 510 yds free handed, running, was it with a mirror over the shoulder?
c'mon, I've shot a few at 500 and much more, you don't shoot running game that far, with an average firearm the lead would have to be 26 feet on a running deer,even if your buddy made the shot it was a 1 in 1000000, luck shot. In the game of LR deer hunting you don't count on luck. yep I smell somethin too!
RR
I know it might seem hard to believe,but I seen my dad kill one well over 500 yrds with a 300 Mag,while it was running from dogs,so yeah it can happen.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 PM

For the record, I chose other above. Right now, my choice is a .338 Lapua Mag.I shoot an Armalite .338 LM with 4-14.5 X50 Luepold MK IV mildot scope, since, at 300-400 yds, it has the same energy as most of the rifles listed here at their muzzle, or for that matter it has that energy still left at 1000yds in some cases. I know that there are gonna be some no believers, but do a little research before you argue this one)

I would not hesitate to take this shot since, the OPTIMAL DISTANCE to zero my rilfe, and my particular round is at 400-500 yds.

I have just one question to the "ethical" hunters out there that say it is only ethical, if you get close, and show respect for the game, or tha tonly a REAL hunter can stalk close and take the shot. For some of you, that means siting in a tree stand and waiting for a deer to come close enough to shoot. Does that make you any better than the rest of us???? Get off your high horse and understand the same as I do, that these are 2 very different styles of hunting, and EACH requires skill in it's own field. Sure, you can crawl up and get close, and get your deer. Great, I am happy for you. You do this portion better than I do. Me, I have the KNOWLEDGE (I too have been to the Army Sniper School, and have competed at a few sniper competitions in Florida and California), and the experience to shoot that distance. So, I am BETTER AT THAT than you are. Just recognize that BOTH REQUIRE a GREAT DEAL OF SKILL IN THEIR OWN RIGHT.

So, to all you guys that sneak up nice and close, good luck, I hope that you have you successful and ethical hunt this season. For the rest of us, I wish you all luck too. I know and believe that there are enough of you out here that understand all that goes into that 400 YD shot.

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.