Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 AM
8mm
Typical Buck

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

8mm
Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

To the bowhunters lets flip this around for a second. 20-30 is about what most call an average comfort zone much like 200 and under for the rifle shooter. Lets call this a fair comparison for debate. If you had an LRF reading of 50yards, perfect conditions, practiced and confident that you could makethe presentedbroadside shot...WOULD YOU TAKE IT?
Ifyes why?
If No, why not?

Pls include info of where you hunt, what, etc.The more info the better.

Heckeven rifle hunters chime inwhere, what,etc.

Now of course this is to say that it is that Monster 200" in PA that has been taunting me all season and won't come any closer, ofcourse I would take the shot if it was a clear view the whole way! That is why I practiced that shot. Now if it was your average buck or doe, nope. I know I know, but thats my choice not yours so live with it.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I voted other. Win 264 Mag. Model 70, pre '64

-john
Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I don't understand why you guys think it's BS. I spend a lot of time and money practicing 500 yard shots along with my son, who by the way just got out of Iraq and was a sniper with the 125th Infantry.

I'll bet you guys practice just enough to "feel good" about a 100 yard shot. As for the 500 yard shot my buddy took standing up .. he has the Kentucky State Record for a typical white tail deer and he practices with us also.

If you smell anything, well, they say "a fox smells his own hole."

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

.300 Wetherby with a 4X12 Nikon.

Longest kill was 468 yards at a doe coming out of cedars and then immediately another one came out at 486 yards, two shots two kills.

I watched a buddy shoot a big ten pointer at 510 yards free handed while the buck was runnin'.

It's called Kentucky Windage ...
woah, somthing smells. What is it though? hmmmm. oh yea! it's BS!

haha. Actually i think i smell it too.
damn its STRONG
Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM

Growing up in southern ag country there are huge open fields, some miles long. We commonly shoot predators at ranges of 300 - 500 yds. I will agree an untrained/unpracticed shooter does not need to attempt this shot but myself and a lot of my pals can shoot 3" groupings consistantly at these ranges. Thus I would not be nor never have been afraid to take this shot. I feel more confident shooting a standing deer 400 yds away in a field than 75 yds away through timber risking bullet deflection. Having made these shots now for around 30 years, yes I would do it but theres people Ive hunted with that couldnt hit a barn at 40 yds but are self proclaimed expert hunters because they watch the TV Shows and Videos.

May your beards be long and your racks massive...Good Hunting
Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 PM

a 6.5 by 55 swedish mauser a sweet shooting gun at long ranges
Old 07-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

Where did all the BS smellers go?

I don't understand why you guys think it's BS. I spend a lot of time and money practicing 500 yard shots along with my son, who by the way just got out of Iraq and was a sniper with the 125th Infantry.

I'll bet you guys practice just enough to "feel good" about a 100 yard shot. As for the 500 yard shot my buddy took standing up .. he has the Kentucky State Record for a typical white tail deer and he practices with us also.

If you smell anything, well, they say "a fox smells his own hole."

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

.300 Wetherby with a 4X12 Nikon.

Longest kill was 468 yards at a doe coming out of cedars and then immediately another one came out at 486 yards, two shots two kills.

I watched a buddy shoot a big ten pointer at 510 yards free handed while the buck was runnin'.

It's called Kentucky Windage ...
woah, somthing smells. What is it though? hmmmm. oh yea! it's BS!

haha. Actually i think i smell it too.
damn its STRONG
Old 08-07-2007, 01:24 PM

300 weatherby, simmons 44 x6 x 20 mil dot 150 grn weatherby ammo 3540 fps

This rifle will drop em way out there.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never shot a sporting rifle at that distance... wouldn't even know where to begin. I'll opt to try and get closer, or relegate the experience to a happy "close but not close enough" memory. Nothing worse than wounding a trophy animal because you took a shot you know deep down you probably have no business taking. Thats just me anyway, plenty of guys I know who can shoot their sporting rifles clean out to 600...but not me.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Amazing how this topic comes to the surface every year LOL. I am somewhat miffed at the military comments about snipers. I went thru sniper training many years ago. The target doesnt matter in the least. Conditions must be right whether its paper, a human, or an animal plain and simple. Would I shoot a deer at 400 yds? You bet and I have several times. Does that harvest mean any less than a kill at 20 yards? Not in the least.
What does bother me is the average Joe that hunts and or fires their rifle oounce or twice a year and blazes away at a deer at all ranges that he/she can see them, standing or running. If Joe wants to stalk and get within his range thats fine and I respect his desires. But I won't except being called a slob hunter if I chose to shoot within my capabilities at long ranges. Ive never lost or wounded a deer I shot at at "long" range. can everyone say that at shorter ranges? I bet not with all the wounded deer I have seen running around. Its all about capabilities and desire to hunt a certain way

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.