Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

.300 Wetherby with a 4X12 Nikon.

Longest kill was 468 yards at a doe coming out of cedars and then immediately another one came out at 486 yards, two shots two kills.

I watched a buddy shoot a big ten pointer at 510 yards free handed while the buck was runnin'.

It's called Kentucky Windage ...
Old 07-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

Longest kill was 468 yards at a doe coming out of cedars and then immediately another one came out at 486 yards, two shots two kills.

I watched a buddy shoot a big ten pointer at 510 yards free handed while the buck was runnin'.

woah, somthing smells. What is it though? hmmmm. oh yea! it's BS!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

haha. Actually i think i smell it too.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 PM

270 cause I know how mine shoots out to 400 just in case it ever happens.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM

My wall currently displays zero deer trophies. If I had a clear shot, I would take it. While we're being hypothetical, would it be too much to ask that the drag back to the truck be downhill too?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

haha. Actually i think i smell it too.
damn its STRONG
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Typical Buck

[:@]AAHHHH!!![:@]PEOPLE KEEP SAYIN "ITS NOT HUNTING" THAT FAR, AND HOW "THEY WOULD QUIT HUNTIN IF THEY COULDNT GET CLOSER"

LET ME TELL YOU THIS ALL OF YOU ULTIMATE HUNTERS WHO THINK YOU ARE INVISIBLE TO DEER AND CAN GET AS LOSE AS YOU PLEASE,CRAWL OR WALK IF YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD HUNTER OVER 400 YARDS ON FLAT LEVEL WIDDDDEEEE OPEN DIRT OR GRASSLAND AND KILL YOUR DEER WITHIN 5O YARDS SUPERHUNTERS!!![:@][:@][:@]

[:@]
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Why would one hunt with a high powered magnum rifle if their only shots are within 75 yds?[] Are they scared of something? [X(]If they are "ethical hunters", then why are they not using lower powered 100 yd. calibers to reduce meat damage and bullet travel after passthrough?Whyisnearly every long range caliber made in a hunting rifle platforminstead of just target rifles? [:-]Same question for scopes?And finally, why do those with the least amount of knowledge on a subject make the most offensive comments concerning it?[&o] I assumed that it was universally known that it is better to keep silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.[8D]
Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

400 yard shots in Wyoming are not all that uncommon.................
Exactly, what I was thinking.

I've been to Wyoming 3 times, and most of our shots on mules and antelope were over 200 yds. On my 2nd trip my friend and I crawled on our hands and knees through a herd of cows to get to the edge of the ravine where a heavy 5x5 was standing on the other side. We ranged him at 425 yds. He looked like he was about 200 yds because it's so open out there. Well I knew he was mine.....We had been shooting for months before the triphitting three and four hundred yard gongs. One shot with the 300 Win mag, one kill. That mule went 2 ft...straight down. I have the whole thing on video. I must say I really enjoyed that hunt.

I'm an avid bow hunter and am a true believer in ethical shots. I won't shoot past 30 yds with a bow. That's my limit. I feel after that range there's too much of a chance that the animal could jump string. That's just me.

Rifle hunting is a different animal(no pun intented). Without a doubt, to hunt an animal at a close range is an incredible feeling, whether it be bow, shotgun, or rifle. But occationally there is the long distance shot that is just as gratifying. The 7mm and 300 mag reach these distances with a hell of a wallup. It's all about knowing your gun, ammo, wind, and where that bullet is going to be.

Anyway...yes, I would take the shot with a 7mm or 300 mag.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Spike

One of my stands this year is overlooking a valley that crosses a pipeline. It has two roads that cross it and I can see from one side to the other. From my stand to the farthest point across the other road is 350-400 yards depending on the time of year. (In summer the underbrush is so thick that I can not see into the woodline but during winter the underbrush dies and I can see an extra forty or so yards.) If a ten point walks out on the road and won't come pay me a visit I may take a shot. But it all depends on the situation. If it is the first hunt of the season I would probably let him walk unless he got closer. If the season is winding down and I haven't taken a deer yet, he is going to eat 150 grains of 7mm rem mag federal vitalshok.

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.