Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Wont Shoot
28.11%
18.30%
11.42%
3.07%
7mmMag
21.96%
30-06
8.20%
Other(tell what type you would shoot)
8.93%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

400 yard trophy?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:44 AM

Default RE: 400 yard trophy?

I would ratherlearn how to stalk and hunt, then fire no more then say 250 yards. I would get way more pleasure learning more about the animal and be able to track it down and get closer in on it then to launch a pebble at 1000 yards, is ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Although it takes for practice than most would put in, The old 45-70 killed thousands of Buffalo. This with Black Powder loads traveling at 1200-1300 fps. ME doesn't mean as much when a 500 grain chunk of lead hits something. Would the 45-70 be a good choice for modern hunters for long range shooting? Probably not but its ability is governed by the shooters skill rather than caliber. Long range target shooting with Black Powder loads is a blast and we often shoot targets out to 800 yards to practice for the Quigley shoots. There are many matches where they shoot 1000-1200 yards with the 45-70 and the old Sharps cartridges. There were no 300 Mags or 7MM Mags when the bison was nearly shot into extinction.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Brother, I've taken more deer inside of 20 yards with a rifle and bow than most people will ever see in a lifetime. To me, there's more of a challenge in doing something you've never done beforethan the same old thing over and over. I'll continue to bow hunt during archery season, and will also continue to hone my long range ability for a different challenge. To live inside you're own little pebble sized mind with no room for expansion is what is truly ridiculous.
ORIGINAL: M77man

I would ratherlearn how to stalk and hunt, then fire no more then say 250 yards. I would get way more pleasure learning more about the animal and be able to track it down and get closer in on it then to launch a pebble at 1000 yards, is ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kingofspring

Brother, I've taken more deer inside of 20 yards with a rifle and bow than most people will ever see in a lifetime. To me, there's more of a challenge in doing something you've never done beforethan the same old thing over and over. I'll continue to bow hunt during archery season, and will also continue to hone my long range ability for a different challenge. To live inside you're own little pebble sized mind with no room for expansion is what is truly ridiculous.

TRUE !! to kingofspring's comment.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: kingofspring

Ha ha, pebble sized mind, now that's funny....I guess?

Anyway, I'llbethe first to admit that I am an in-experienced hunter having hunted from a tower blind with a 300 yard firing lane for the past few years nowusing either a 7mm Rem Mag or a 30-06 and to be honest, a 300 yard shot is rather easy with a 7 Mag. But a 1000 yard shot? C'mon you have to admit that's ridiculous. And it's obvious that we have "sniper" wann-a-be's onhere.All I am saying, is that I personally would rather learn how to stalk and hunt then sit from a tower and shoot at long range. 400 yards is fine. Actually, if it were the trophy of a life time I would take a shot at 500 yards but not much further.

Please try to showsome more maturity in your posts in the future also.

Be with Jesus bra
Old 02-03-2007, 12:48 PM

I would have to say a .243 because its a high velocity, flatter shooting rifle that can keep alot of its energy at long distances. Therefore you can make a more ethical shot even though its not ethical to shoot that far anyways. But if it was a HUGE trophy i would proubably push ethics aside a little bit!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have no problem shooting up to 500 yards with a good solid rest with my old 06. I am a bowhunter and love the close stuff, HOWEVER, I have been known to pick up a rifle every other year or so and bang away. It does not matter what caliber or what the distance is, it can all be done, all animals should beware of the man that only uses one rifle!!!!!!

I know, here comes the blasts about only shooting every so often, but there was a time whem I shot ALOT, and I have been coached by a man wearing camo!!!! and he yelled more than anyone on this site!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

.338 WM....depends on the condition and surroundings?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:59 AM

I thing you should loss your hunting rights for life if you cann't get close enough to touch the middle rib with the barrel of you rifle.No shot is 100% even at 50 yds.,so maybe alot of you guys should give up your rifles. How does that sound? My longest was 440 yds. and no I couldn't get closer b/c of water but I knew I could make the shot with my old win. mod. 70 in a 300 mag and a vxIII 3 1/5 x 10.You got to have a range finder and confidence gained by shooting that far. If you never shove your limits down another mans throat, we will get along great. To all ,Good luck on your next shot.

[/align]
Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I would shoot, but i'd want a very steady rest and i would shoot my dad's .300 winchester magnum with 175 grain hornandy shells

Quick Reply: 400 yard trophy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.