Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 new to sluggin..any help please >

new to sluggin..any help please

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to sluggin..any help please

Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 PM

Default new to sluggin..any help please

well im new to slugging and im an archery hunter and a rifle hunter and i wanted to do something during rifle season that would be more challenging then using a rifle..here in nebraska you can slug during rifleseason..i own a 12 gauge remington sportsman 48 that takes 2 3/4's..the only thing i dont know about the sport of slugging is whats the difference between buck shot and reg. slugs??..any info on any of this would be great and any idea of what to shoot out of this gun would be great also..thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 PM

Default RE: new to sluggin..any help please

Buck shot is just really really big lead shot (just like you use for birds...except these things are huge, and you've only got 8 or 15 pellets in one shotshell...instead of several hundred lil' ones). Slugs: you're using just a regular shotgun barrel right? In that case, I'd look at some brenneke slugs or a new thing called (I think federal makes 'em) called "Tru-ball"...if you can't find those look for anything labelled "foster style". AAANNDD...that part no one want to hear is that you're gonna have to try several different types to see what you're particular gun shoots best. Also, a good recoil pad is probably worth the investment if you don't already have one.

Remember this also, Sabot-type slugs are made for rifled shotgun barrels, they'll work but you'll likely get better results with the Foster-type slugs.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:45 PM

yeah i have a smooth barrel not rifled at all
Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it is important to clarify just how far you would like to be able to or expect to be ablemake shots. Most slug hunters nowadays (not all) if regularly slug hunting, are using a rifled barrel with a scope.

I have my dedicated slug gun which can shoot over 100 yards very, very well. Of course it is rifled barrel and scoped. I also have a smooth-bore/rifled open sight pump shotgun I use when in tight brush/woods. It is good to 75yrd +/-.