Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement

Old 10-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shot placement

So what happens if you are off on the neck shot and have to chase them with little or no blood.I dont know why I'm even argueing about this with you.A heart shot is the most dependable and quickest kill at any distant.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

there is no tracking,
Nevermind......... now I understand.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always go for the heart/lungs area.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

there is no tracking,
Nevermind......... now I understand.
Is that being sarcastic ? Like I am some lazy hunter ?
Here in South Texas our country is rough. The brush here is thick and I mean thick. Every plant is out to get you, every plant has thorns and I mean huge ones, even the trees have thorns. You have to wear denim and leather gloves to venture in the brush after a deer. The brush harbors lots of rattlesnakes too. We probably have the highest population of rattlesnakes in the country. So crawling around on your hands and knees in thorny snake infested country is not fun.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think hunting in Ecuador would be harder than Texas, because first off, you can barely breathe, and second, it's extremely mountainous there.
Third, I'll betcha that there's more poisonous snakes in the rainforest than in Texas!

For America, I'd guess that Florida deer hunting in a swamp would be even worse, your deer sinks in the water, you're felling your way throgh muddy water, and there's cottonmouths which you can't "run" away from, there's Alligators, Alligator-Snapping-Turtles, and god-knows what [email protected]!(Boy, I should give deer hunting on www.yahoo.com a try!) Here I come!

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOO OOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:22 AM

So taking out a few ribs on either side of a deer wastes MORE meat than a slug to the neck???

Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

lungs with a bow and high shoulder with a gun
Old 10-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use lungshots.

The problem with neck shots is that you must severe the vertebrae to ensure a clean kill.If the bullet strikes close to the vertebrae,the deer usually falls to the ground stunned.However it is usually up and running again in short order.I have had to track three deer shot in the neck by other people.One had to be shot again and the other two bled out eventualy,but travelled a long ways before we found them.Head shots can be even worse if the jaw is shot off and the animal starves to death.
The lungs are a lot bigger target so the odds of a lost animal are much lower.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:36 AM

It doesn't matter to me if you shoot it in the head, neck, shoulder, lungs, texas heart shot, the choice is yours. Do what ever you are comfortable with. I aim for the shoulder blade with a gun and behind the shoulder with a bow. I had something happen to me my first year hunting that has influenced me personallyto never shoot at a deer's head or neck. I had a small buck come in at about 100 yards and I must have had buck fever, because I hit its head even though I aimed for the lungs. I tracked the deer for over a mile before completely losing the blood trail. Two days later another hunter shot the deer and it's jaw was hanging off. That must have been a pretty miserable couple of days. So, even though I am much more confident with my shooting ability and less influenced by buck fever I can imagine that being off as little as an inch or two, could change the situation from having a deer on the ground to one in which a deer starves to death weeks later.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I am some lazy hunter ?
Ding Ding Ding!!!!! Nybh happens to care about bowhunting, He tracks them and drags them out himself. He has said he's very fit and trains for deer season. Him and bubba dont jump in the 'ol beater and drive through the holler throwin beer cans out the windo as he goes to pick up the deer.

Quick Reply: Shot placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.