Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement

Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot placement

Actually for me anyways, the deer I have shot in the heart were the ones that ran the farthest, up to a 100 yds, a double lung hit never went more than 40 yds for me anyway. And I am talking about at least 50 deer.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 AM

top of the heart. this means BANG-FLOP

Yeap what he said! Heart and lung then if you slip a little you may get the liver.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

what does shooting in the neck prove???so youre a good shot. Never catch me shooting in the neck,I like to find my deer. ive only had one deer notdrop in its tracks.All my shots are square through the heart.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much meat are you wasting by a lung shot?
Amen. Shooting for the neck to save meat is one of those oft repeated comments that has always mystified me. Who eats deer ribs? There's barely enough meat on them to interest a hungry yard dog much less for a human to fool with. On the other handthere's a pretty decent neck roast at the base of a deers neck.

I have never liked head and neck shots either. I know that some people online will claim to have done it umpteen gillion times without a hitch but trust me it's a risky shot under field conditions with little margin for error. Ever ran across a deer in the woods with it's upper or lower jaw shot off? I have and it's not a pretty sight I can tell you. Deer are constantly moving their head and neck even when they are standing still. It doesn't take much of a move at just the right moment to turn a lethal head/neck shot into a maimed and lost animal.

The heart lung shot is by far the safest bet. It's a more stationary target and the largest lethal area on the animal. Stick a bullet behind his shoulder and he's not going more than 50 yards. And trust me your dog won't care about the holes in the rib cages you feed him.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wait until they are looking straight at me and then I shoot them right between the eyes....

Just kidding.

When you are trying to make a tackle on defense in footballI was taught to always focus on the runners belly button. Why? because his belly button don't move. Where his belly button is, so is the runner. He can juke with his head all he wants to, but the belly button don't lie.
That is why my favorite shot is in the vitals north of the diaphram, and I really like to keep from taking out the shoulders because I like the meat. A perfect shot for me is squarely through the ribs, and if not perfect maybe through one of the shoulder blades.

C. Davis
Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

what does shooting in the neck prove???so youre a good shot. Never catch me shooting in the neck,I like to find my deer. ive only had one deer notdrop in its tracks.All my shots are square through the heart.
What does shooting a deer with a bow prove ?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That you definately didn't shoot at his neck.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

That you can get a whitetail within 20 yards from you and hit it in a "vital" organ. If people are worried about waisting that tasty rib meat with a lung shot you should take up bowhunting. You don't have to worry about wasting any meat.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Rebel Hog, Rob/PA & NY Bowhunter on this 100%. However, I do very occasionally take them via neck/head shots when they are in tall grass, etc. where that is all they will present for the shot.

Bu the way, the head shots really don't fare well for pictures! [X(]
Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

That you can get a whitetail within 20 yards from you and hit it in a "vital" organ. If people are worried about waisting that tasty rib meat with a lung shot you should take up bowhunting. You don't have to worry about wasting any meat.
So if I shoot a deer in the neck I am trying to prove something?
Why do you have to prove you can get wthin 20 yds and hit it with an arrow.
By the way I am a bowhunter too. I dont hunt with a bow to prove anything, I hunt with it because it gives me an extra month to hunt.
With a rifle I shoot'em in the neck beause... it's the most humane and quickest kill, theres no stress on the deer which makes the meat better, there is no tracking, theres no meat loss.

Quick Reply: Shot placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.