Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

14 Point Monster

Old 11-13-2002, 12:22 PM

Default 14 Point Monster

I have a question to ask all of you. I recently was speaking to a friend of mine & last week he had to stop his truck while he was driving because a 14 point buck was standing in the middle of a back road & didn't move for a couple minutes. He said it was the largest Buck he'd ever seen. So a few days ago I drove by the spot the Buck crossed & seen that the areas on both sides of the road are open to hunting. We're about a week or so from the rut here so this area is probably the bucks home range.

So my question is should I abandon the spots I have been scouting & scout this area & set up there on the 1st day of our rifle season for the chance to bag a once in a lifetime buck? What would you do?

Thanks,

Barry
Old 11-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 14 Point Monster

I would consider how much time you have to hunt. If you get to go hunting quit often, it would be worth a look see. If you dont get to hunt very often, then I would stick to the spots you have worked. I live real close to my land and can go hunting every week end and evenings during the week. I try lots of new spots. But a couple of years back I could only hunt 2 or 3 times a year at most. Back then I wouldnt waste the time to try a new spot, and stuck to what I had been scouting.

In your situation, if I had the time I sure would set up a few days to look for the big boy. But if I had limited time, I would stick with the honey hole.

St. Steven with a rose, in and out of the garden he goes.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:26 PM

Our season here in PA is 2 weeks long so I probably will have 5 or 6 full days besides evenings in that span to hunt, so I should have enough time to do it.

Anyone else out there ever had an experience where they have changed up to a new unknown spot to try to bag the big one, that you seen or heard about from someone else? Any success stories?

Get your kids in the woods & off the streets.

Barry
Old 11-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Every year I have many people tell me that they see 12,14 or more pointers. I have never seen one alive or dead (execpt books) and I kill good size bucks each year. Before wasting all the effort on the other land, how truthfull is your "friend" ? .. Not saying he is lieing but they are few and far between ...BIll
Old 11-13-2002, 09:03 PM

My source is very reliable, & I know he wouldn't lie about this & he's not an exagerator. The buck stood on the road for around 2 minutes & he counted every point several times he said.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:25 PM

Hey im from Pa to and i have seen some monsters, but i hate to bust your bubble cuz i get realy excited about that stuff to, i think any hunter does. But the chances are that if he saw that buck some one else might have as well and told his buddies. So you might be best off sticking to your spot, cuz it would be a big disapointment to show up the first day and have a bunch of people there or have a bunch show up while you are hunting. Unless you know no one else besides maybe your bud is hunting there i would stick to the old place, try and do some research on the land and see who hunts it if you can.