Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should I buy a Tree Stand????

Old 11-10-2002, 03:55 PM

Default Should I buy a Tree Stand????

I am an experienced hunter ... 25 plus years and several 8 - 12 point bucks in the 130 - 150 category.

I am a ground blind hunter though and I think I am missing opportunities. Had a nice buck come down wind the other day and could hear his antlers clicking off the alders as he winded me and took off.

Here is the question ... I am 55 years old .. but in good shape. Is a self climbing tree stand out of the question for me. Are they difficult to set up and take down. I also have to confess I've read a lot about the safety side of things and that has always made me hesittae using them. But I have to think if I can get up just a little off the ground (even 10 - 12 feet) I'll have a much better view of things and see more animals. I've been looking at the API self climber. Any good??????
Old 11-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Should I buy a Tree Stand????

I think you will see more deer and be amazed by what you have been missing. I have used tree stands for the past eight years and I have killed more deer in the tree stand than out of it. My two hunting partners just bought their first tree stands last year and they can't get over what a difference it makes. I use the viper XLS and it works great. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever brand you buy. My advise is to buy the lightest one you can.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'm just a little younger than you and unless you're afraid of heights, go for it. I like the ladder and hang on stand for me, though. I have a couple of sets. My neighbor is very old and prefers the one piece ladderstands because they may be safer. You won't believe the advantage being in a tree gives you. I shot my buck this year at about six yards from my tree and he didn't have a clue I was there. Jim

Old 11-10-2002, 08:34 PM

If your kind of scared of heights ladders are real safe. If you attack them to the tree real good. It is also faster than setting up your climber every morning. I use a climber but if I had a choice between having a bunch of ladder stands and a climber i'd choose a bunch of ladders or hang ons.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:41 PM

I just put up my first stand. It a strap on. All I can say is, if you don't like heights get a ladder stand or a self climber. A strap on stand is hard to put up. But I'm good with heights and climbibg trees. I didn't even need steps to get up the tree.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

nobody mentioned it so i will, BUY A GOOD BODY HARNESS! you will feel safer and it may save your neck someday
Old 11-11-2002, 06:29 AM

Short answer. Yes!!. Being up in the air makes all the difference.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm 51 and I bought a Summit Viper XLS a couple of years ago. If you are in good shape you should have no problem climbing with a good stand. I chose the Summmit because of the comfort, ease of hooking up to the tree and quietness. It also came with a complete body harness for safety. I've climbed 45 feet with no problem.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:54 AM
ck
Fork Horn

I'm 50 and use a titan ladder stand 12 ft. It takes about 5 min. to set up and weights about 10 lbs.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Tree Stand????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.