Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

long underwear

Old 10-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Spike

Default long underwear

I decided it is finally time to invest in a good pair of long underwear that will keep me warm while sitting in my deer stand during the upcoming rifle and muzzleloader season. I hunt in MN and it can get very cold during late november and early decembr. I went to cabelas and checked out a pair of Polar Expedition-Weight Polartec® Power Dry. They look comfortable and warm but are they really worth th $40 for the top and $40 for the bottoms? If anyone has any experience or anything to add I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: long underwear

Personally I use Helly Hensen Polyproplene under garmets. They aren't cheap either but worth it, up here it can get to -30 in hunting season.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:16 PM

I never go hunting without them cause i find they keep my body nice and warm except on those odd warm days and your doing alot of climbing then they start to make you sweat. But if your in a stand i find their the cats... well you get the idea.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually get a couple pair of the fleece Remingtons from Wal-Mart. They are around 10 bucks each for the top and bottom but do a good job of keeping you warm. I did learn a good lesson though, I bought the regular neck instead of the semi turtle neck, next time I will get the higher one.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Think in terms of 2 sets of long underwear. I have a set I wear against my skin to wick away moisture and provide extra insulation. I usually use polypro, but have dicovered Underarmour. Warmest and driest stuff you can wear. Then, over that I have a layer of heavy wool underwear. Fleece would be a good substitute. I have hunted in weather down to 0 F and been comfortable. Also think about wearing bibs or pants with suspenders. Wearing a belt really cuts into your insulation. Bibs or suspenders allow your upper and lower body to exchange heat.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:32 AM

bibs make it hard to....well....i'm a girl. you figure it out. lol anyway...i wear the insulated underwear that the army uses for extreme cold weather. got them at a surplus store for about $10 for the top and $10 for the bottoms. they have a zip up neck that allow you to fold it down or wear it up over your chin. very warm with out being too bulky.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:07 PM

BuckmasterMN, whereabouts in MN? I live in Coon Rapids, MN, but hunt obviously hunt north of there. I hunt around Big Lake and neighboring state land/wild life refuge and Potlach Paper Company land wet of Hill City during rifle season.
I use some polypropelene tops and bottoms that I got when still in the Army Reserves that work great.
I have heard that the UnderArmor stuff works very well, so could be considered, but likely close to the cost of the Polar Fleece that you have already looked at.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

UnderArmour is incredible. If you have the money, it is worth it. I find if you wear it on a day when you will be active, the sweat will cool you down quick though!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Filson's wool longjohns, and no, they aren't itchy. Lived in Wyoming for a couple of years and a friend loaned me a pair. WOW! Nothing has ever been warmer and, being from the Gulf Coast, I freeze when it gets below 45. They are extremely pricey but you'll probably be able to pass 'em on to your grandchildren.

http://www.filson.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2069841&cp=2069836&cl ickid=leftnav_Underwear_txt
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I agree the Under Armour is the way to go. Keeps you plenty warm, but won't make you overheat on your walk to the blind and subsequent climb up to the stand.

Quick Reply: long underwear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.