Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nothing wasted!

Old 10-07-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Nothing wasted!

My dad and I just got done cutting the meat off our two does. Nothing was wasted except for the gut pile. Got all kinds of steak meat, burger meat, and jerky meat....Which we will cut up today. I got the two deer caped and will be mounting them sometime. Also kept the feet to make gun racks and other novelty things to display in the shop. Not even the bare carcasses left over from processing are wasted. My dad and I are going to be dropping them off in the places we trap to get the animals coming in before trapping opener. Wow, what a lot of work, but I'm glad we got it all done.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nothing wasted!

Piebalddoe

What about the heart and liver , do you and your dad eat those ?
My wife and I do , we boil them both and then cook'em like regalure liver and onions and we'll cut the heart into strips and fry it .
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 AM

My dad loves beef liver, but he never tried deer liver before. He saved the heart from his buck last year and was told to set it in a bowl of salt water in the refridgerator for a few days to prepare it for cooking. But he never got around to eating it (I think it grossed him out. lol) He keeps intending to try deer liver, I'll have to remind him the next time we're gutting a deer.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your dad loves beef liver , he should enjoy the deer liver...
Old 10-08-2006, 11:58 AM

[&:]yuckkkkkkkkkkkkk[:'(]
Old 10-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to mount a doe? What's the point?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:18 PM

Why not mount a doe? Father and daughter had a good hunt. She does taxidermy. She wants to mount them and does taxidermy work. Heck have at it! Way to go!! It doesn't have to be a buckor have huge antlersfor some one to mount it. Then they can view the mounts and remember thier hunt often.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:25 PM

thanks chiefks. youngun243, here's the point of it. Doe mounts make one of the most beautful mounts. Displayed beside a buck, they make a great center piece. I don't care if it has antlers, or if the antlers are small. I save every deer cape. Why? I do taxidermy, and I need all the practice I get. And maybe every deer I kill has sentimental value to me. That's why I'd mount a doe.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks chiefks. youngun243, here's the point of it. Doe mounts make one of the most beautful mounts. Displayed beside a buck, they make a great center piece. I don't care if it has antlers, or if the antlers are small. I save every deer cape. Why? I do taxidermy, and I need all the practice I get. And maybe every deer I kill has sentimental value to me. That's why I'd mount a doe.
Great post piebalddoe. You should post a link to your website in your signature too.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Piebalddoe, I it does make a ton of sense when you do your own taxidermy. But, doesn't your wall get a bit crowded after all those mounts? Do you sell them or something?

Just out of curiosity, have you ever mounted anything other than deer?

By the way, sorry if I offended you, really.

Quick Reply: Nothing wasted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.