Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Learning to use Scents - How to place them in dark >

Learning to use Scents - How to place them in dark

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Learning to use Scents - How to place them in dark

Old 11-11-2002, 09:34 PM

Default Learning to use Scents - How to place them in dark

I haven't used deer lure scents in prior years (gun hunting), but have thought about trialing it this year using 35mm film containers or scent wicks.

I walk into the woods in the dark. How does everyone place this stuff out in the dark? I would like to place it in three locations around my tree stand. Does everyone place the scent out in the dark, wait until a little morning light, or use a flashlight? I just don't want to be "stumbling" around while spreading my human scent at the same time! I know the area I will be hunting fairly well.

Hope there's a little moonlight!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Learning to use Scents - How to place them in dark

I put it out when I go into the woods using a flashlight. A mini-mag lite works fine. Use your thumb to cover the lens of the light with only a crack for the light to shine out of. Gives you plenty of light to walk without looking like a lighthouse coming through the woods.

A tip on the 35mm film cannisters. Cut a piece of clothes hanger wire and duct tape it to the canister. Bend a hook on it so you can hang it from a tree limb. Makes it a little easier.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:29 PM

I use the deer sense sticks and I have a flashlight that is like a head band or miners light. That way both hands are free to do what I need to do to prepare. A little tid bit- use a red lense. it helps alot at night not to spook anything in the area.

If it crawls it falls, if it flies it dies.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put mineout prior to getting into my stand. I don't use a light or anything else. I have had a treestand in that area for 6 years now, and to say I know the immediate area like the back of my hand is an understatement. I can get in very quietly and place my sent with minimal noise or scent spreading.

But in new areas, I use my flashlight covering the end to limit the light coming out.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 11-13-2002, 07:34 PM
wc

I use a drag string with doe scent on it after i reach my stand i use a flash light with my finger over the edge of the lens try not to spook anyting in the area moving down wind to hang the scent up try using this and it might work for you .

William C Bonner