Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer call, short or drawn out sound? >

Deer call, short or drawn out sound?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer call, short or drawn out sound?

Old 11-11-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Deer call, short or drawn out sound?

I have never heard a buck or a doe grunt or bleat so I am not sure how to use my call, any suggestions?

Trouserchili
Old 11-11-2002, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer call, short or drawn out sound?

Actually most of the time you should try to vary the length of the call any where from a very short bleat/grunt to a 3 second one. The most important thing in calling is limit blind calling to only one series of calls every 15-30 minutes. Once you have seen a deer coming your way do not call again unless it starts to head off in the wrong direction and only call once to turn them again. I prefer sticking with bleats, with maybe an occasional short grunt.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

If there are bucks around you and they are in heavy rut short quick grunts are the trick. You'll know when they're there and you grunt at them and they grunt right back. In this instance you can answer with one short stern grunt for everyone of theirs. This stradegy brings them right in to your stand. I had 2 come right into me one evening here in Southern Ontario and they're not known for being to vocal here. This was a pocket area with lots of bucks to does.

I've been snorted by does only to have a buck come into the snort. I then coaxed them in a little further with a couple of 2 second bleats and a couple of 2 second grunts. When calling blind like Tazman says you don't want to call to often but just a 2 or 3 second bleat every 15 or 20 mins. will do. I like this in quiet walking conditions in high grass areas that have ample white or red cedar trees for cover. You can grunt them right out from behind one of these cedars.
good luck

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html
Old 11-15-2002, 10:57 AM

Chris,

Thanks for posting the question. I learned a lot from the previous two posted responses. I have never used a bleat or grunt until this year and it is exciting to see a buck come in that you have called. The first time I used the grunt tube I was lokking around and stood to stretchand was busted by a deep grunt from behind a big bush. I really had know idea that it would work.

If it crawls it falls, if it flies it dies.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Banned

Chris here is a site that will allow you to hear various calls. There is also plenty of information regarding technique and when certain calls are most effective. http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html<font face='Arial'></font id='Arial'>

Old 11-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a good question....

Deer seem to have as varied vocal patterns as people do, so there isn't neccesarily a good or bad way to grunt. You could grunt too loud, or too often however.

Here's a couple tips from my experience. When you see a buck, out of range, with no prospect of it coming in, a quiet, short grunt works best to turn him around. The reason for one grunt is you do NOT want him to pinpoint the actual location of the sound, just the general direction. If the deer does not hear it, increase the volume, with one short grunt. NEVER grunt at a deer coming your way, all you do is alert him to something, good or bad.

When blind calling, a series of three grunts works best, but direct the sound to a different direction with each call, and separate each grunt by 2 seconds. Keep the grunts short, and medium volume, you want to give the impression of a buck following a doe, and uttering a tending grunt. After grunting, remain as still as you can for about a minute, its amazing how some bucks can zero in on a grunt call.

The only time I use a drawn out grunt, is when rattling, and only towards the end of the rattling sequesnce. I cannot explain why, but this has worked for me several times over the years.

As much as I insist on having a call with me during bow season, I almost always leave it behind during the gun season, or at least call very little. I don't know about you, but when gun season opens in my area, the rut is usually winding down, and the increased hunting pressure puts all bucks on red alert. A grunt call, can sometimes turn a deer away, so keep this in mind as well.

Good luck!