Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A corns

Old 11-11-2002, 08:42 AM

Default A corns

Hi,does any one know if saving the acorns now and putting them latter in the winter will atract deer,even if i place them a way from an aok tree??

Toons

Safty Is # 1
Old 11-13-2002, 07:34 PM

Default RE: A corns

This may sound like a stupid question Toons, but one that I have wondered myself. I would like to know too since deer love acorns so much. I guess we will have to freeze a few to see how they look after a few weeks. God knows I have about 20 zillion in my front yard now.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:54 PM

Let's suppose you could do it, and that it worked, would it be baiting?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they will eat them. I also think it's baiting.
It would be hard to prove if you put them back under the tree you found them under.

Old 11-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

in my state if you do that and hunt over it within 30 day you break the law..not even the shells can be left!...but if its legal or your not hunting the pile..we did it with squirrels in our yard...not an oak for 1/4mile...where i gathered them lol..i suppose if deer found them theyd eat them....i spread corn for some and theres no corn for about 1/2 mile or farther and they loved it....i dont think id want to pick up enough acorns for deer though...i spread 40lb of corn and it was gone within a week maybe less but i checked once a week...there wasnt a speck every week when i checked and respread more...so you need alot of acorns to feed your deer!

Old 11-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you can and it will work!Just keep them dry and pick out any with holes already in them.I kept them until the next season and the deer loved them.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.