Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 chewing or dipping while in the stand >

chewing or dipping while in the stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

chewing or dipping while in the stand

Old 09-18-2006, 09:19 PM

Default RE: chewing or dipping while in the stand

Vanila is a good attractant, and Skoal makes a vanila flavored skoal. It tastes good and should bring them in.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think the spit would smell like vanilla and that stuff is just plain groose! I only quit dipping about 45mins b4 dark just for the motion so i dont have to move my head and spit.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a good friend who buys beech nut by the case and chews all day in his stand and has killed some whoppers.

As a matter of fact, one evening, he had just spit his big old wad of chew onto the ground whena group ofdeer came by. One mature doe kept working closer and closer and eventuallly wound up sniffing around under his stand. She sniffed the big wad of beech nut and ate it! After a few seconds, she got this wide eyed look and promptlychucked it back up! She spent the next 45 minutes puking. I was about 100 yards away and she eventually came by me still heaving as she went. It was a sound like no other I've heard from a deer. When I got back to camp and he told us what happened we laughed till we almostheaved too!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Considering that deer are so overpopulated in some areas that they spend half their time in peoples yards and gardens, its not like a foreign/human smell is going to bother them anyway.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dip every year while on stand. I spit in a bottle sometimes and spit on the ground sometimes. I have never seena reaction from the deer that would cause concern.

Nothing like a big fat dip of Copenhagen on a cool early November morning!!!![8D]
Old 09-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: one on one

don't go to the woods without it, but always have a bottle.
Yep, but it is the same bottle I urinate in. When I have to urinate, chewing is over for the day.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

deer are amazed at the smell of tobacco i have had pet deer almost paw it out of my hand...deer are curious and thats what gets them in trouble.. plus its hard to hunt without a dip...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 PM

I havent had any trouble chewing on stand, to tell ya the truth i was on the ground last year by a cedar tree and hadent seen anything so i lit up a smoke, needless to say a mature buck came to investigate what was going on I think its like everyone else says deer are curious and when i dip up i dont think that the smell bothers them, I try not to smoke if i am on stand but i try to quit smoking and start chewing again well right around this time of year, 2 things that my wife hates, when i grow my beard for deer season and when i give her a kiss when I have a big ole dip in lol. good luck to everyone this season.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been known to dip while hunting. Never had any reason to quit yet. If a deer comes in close enuf to get a whiff of what I'm chewing its more than likely going to be shot.

I also don't believe in all the gimicks like scent blocker outfits and all that crap. I hunt in my work bibs and coat (they are camo, but are usualyl covered in grease/oil etc) and I have never been winded.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

my uncle smokes while on stand all the time he hunts public land all over ohio and has shot some huge 10 pts.,8 pts,6 pts,tons of does he says theydid'nt care about the smoke at all he shoots with one in his mouth all the time lol

Quick Reply: chewing or dipping while in the stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.